Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

USA birth certs - where can I obtain

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Siobhan

Siobhan Report 4 Dec 2007 21:24

Hi

Does anyone know where I can get a birth certificate from for my g g grandfather who was born in boston USA in 1857? I only have his name and his life from 1871 onwards to go on, not sure if he comes from Boston, Mass. or Boston indiana

Thanks
Siobhan x

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 4 Dec 2007 23:56

I can look on the 1860 and 1870 census for you (if it wasn't a terribly common name).

Years ago I ordered birth records from the State of New Jersey. The State of Massachusetts may provide the same feature.

Siobhan

Siobhan Report 5 Dec 2007 11:34

Hi Lisa

I think you looked for me a while ago, it was to try and trace Samuel William Hearnden born 1857 Boston USA, and ended up in England in 1871 Census in an orphanage, I still can't find out what happened to his parents but have been toying with the idea that their name was Herndon or Harnden as I have found a Samuel Herndon b around the same time in Boston Indianna, but also one born around the same time in Boston Massa. with the last name Harnden, I know that quite a few Harnden and Herndons became Hearndens down the linage.

Siobhan x

Joan

Joan Report 5 Dec 2007 14:05

Siobhan,

I found this record for a Samuel Harnden b. abt 1857 residing in Lowell, MA (northwest of Boston).

1860 United States Federal Census
about Samuel Harnden
Name: Samuel Harnden
Age in 1860: 3
Birth Year: abt 1857
Birthplace: Massachusetts
Home in 1860: Lowell Ward 6, Middlesex, Massachusetts
Post Office: Lowell
Value of real estate: View image
Household Members: Name Age
Samuel Harnden 28
Ellen Harnden 30
Mary A Harnden 8
Harriet Harnden 6
Ellen Harnden 4
Samuel Harnden 3
Frederic Harnden 2
Ella A Brackett 18

Joan

Joan Report 5 Dec 2007 14:13

I found the above family still residing in Lowell, MA on the U.S. Census in 1880--so this can not be your family.

It appears that your Hearnden family left to go to England soon after the birth of Samuel. No records were found on Ancestry for the family in Boston in 1860 or 1870.

You would have to contact the Mass. Archives in Boston to do a search for Samuel's birth. Their website is at:

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ARC/arcgen/genidx.htm

Siobhan

Siobhan Report 5 Dec 2007 14:14

Many thanks Joan, this is one of the ones that I found, its intreguing trying to find out which one was my Samuel, and how he ended up here in England alone listed as an orphan.

Siobhan x

Joan

Joan Report 5 Dec 2007 14:19

I did a quick search for all above spellings on the Mass. Archives Website and no records were found. If the family left the States soon after his birth, it is possible that the birth was never recorded.

Joan

Siobhan

Siobhan Report 5 Dec 2007 14:25

Thanks again Joan,

Still confusing though

Siobhan x

Siobhan

Siobhan Report 5 Dec 2007 14:28

I wonder if my Samuel's mother either died soon after having him and he was sent here possibly in the hope of being with family, or she brought him over here but then disapeared!! Hmmmm mystery deepens

Siobhan x

Siobhan

Siobhan Report 5 Dec 2007 14:49

I have sent off for his marriage certificate so fingers crossed that may have some info

Siobhan x

Joan

Joan Report 5 Dec 2007 20:24

Siobhan,

Is this family any relation to your Hearnden ancestor? I found this record in the County of Gloustershire (the county where Samuel was found in 1871 as an orphan).

1881 England Census
about Lucy Hearnden
Name: Lucy Hearnden
Estimated birth year: abt 1839
Relation: Wife
Spouse's name: John
Where born: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England

Civil parish: Lewisham
County/Island: London

Street address: 2 The Retreat
Condition as to marriage: Married
Education: