Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has anyone got Parish Records for Rotherham please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 5 Dec 2007 10:38

Hi, I'd really appreciate baptism look ups please, as I've just received info that 2 of these children were brother's of my grandmother.

I know there mother's maiden name was Price.

I found as Abraham on Free bmd, which although wasn't mentioned by elderly aunt, his mother's name matches. But the first two were definately mentioned. Any help would be fantastic as we've lost all contact with this side of the family.

Sydney Coyne b approx June Q 1907

Francis Gilbert Coyne b approx June q 1909

Abrahm Coyne b approx Dec Q 1915

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me, Lou

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 5 Dec 2007 10:57

Hi Jan, thanks for the tip, am trying it now but so far no look. I did try googling Rotherham parish records and didn't come up with that one, but my computer is slow today so that could be the problem, will keep trying the site you mentioned. My other problem is the spelling of the name and because the family moved around their accents have changed the original spelling. But will try all permentations again, thanks, Lou

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 5 Dec 2007 20:04

nudge

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 5 Dec 2007 20:39

Hi Lou

I am sorry I cant help but the parish records for Rotherham are split between the Rotherham Library or the Sheffield Archives depending on what parish in Rotherham people came from.

The years you mention would mean any records at the Sheffield Archives at least would not be fiched and the original registers would have to be ordered up from the strong room.

Both do look ups but at a rather costly fee. I go to the Sheffield Archives but not as often as I would like as I live in Manchester. If what you need are at Sheffield then I dont mind keeping the details and looking in the future when I go again if you get no joy with anyone else.

Regards
Claire

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 5 Dec 2007 20:55

Hi Claire, Thanks very much.

All I have found so far is that their mother died early in 1916 which is just after Abraham's birth. She died at 33 South Street, Thurcroft, Laughton, Rotherham. I haven't a clue whether the records would be in Sheffield or Rotherham Library, have you any ideas?

Thanks, Lou

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 5 Dec 2007 21:37

Hi Lou

mmm...not sure which records they could be in. I am pretty sure that Thurcroft records are at Rotherham Library which I couldnt help with but know they do look ups for a fee.

Laughton could be Laughten en le Morthern which is a tiny village just outside of Rotherham and does come under the Rotherham district on the bmd records. Laughten en le Morthern records are at Sheffield as I have looked at them before on fiche.

I am pretty sure that Thurcroft and Laughten en le Morthern are near each other but havnt come accross them being put together on a record, if that makes sense?

Regards
Claire

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 5 Dec 2007 22:11

Hi Clare, thanks so much for the information. I have sent an email to Rotherham Library and asked for prices. Hopefully it's not going to be too expensive. Thanks again for your help, Good hunting to you, Regards, Lou

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 2 Jan 2008 09:23

Hi Lou,
I am also trying to find stuff in Rotherham pr's and it seems that they are lodged at the Borthwick Institute in York, Their research service charges £30 but you send £15 with your reqest and they let you know what they have found,
I must say,,i havent tried it myself as im unsure which parish my 2 x great grandfather came from,

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 2 Jan 2008 10:33

Hi Claire in Lincs, Your right about their charges, I nearly fell off my chair when they told me how much they charge. I decided it was much cheaper to order one birth certificate, I received it before Christmas and it's a match. With more research I now think one of them may be my grandmother's brother's child so I'm going to order that this week.

I tried te Rotherham bmd site with no luck at all, and yet the birth certificate clearly states he was registered in Rotherham. I sometimes think the bmd sites rotate and that's why you sometimes find them and then you don't.

Good luck, Lou

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 2 Jan 2008 13:27

Hi Lou, if you google Rotherham thet list all sorts of info records etc. also villages around Rotherham. Have found lots of info from them Marian

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 2 Jan 2008 14:51

Hi Marrian, thanks so much for the tip. I have been trying to find churches for the area without much success, your tip took me straight to them, so thanks for that. Lou