Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Puzzling!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Belinda

Belinda Report 5 Dec 2007 10:56

Hi I was wondering if someone could help me out there...I'm trying to find birth parents of a Catherine Sweeney b 1866 she married Adam miller in 1884 but I dont find nothing on her before the 1891 census when she was aged 25 and living in liverpool. She had a brother boarding with her and her family named Patrick Sweeney b 1878 by the time the 1901 census came out but cannot find anything before then. can anyone help find out any more information for me please? As I said I have the info from the 1891 and 1901 census but cant find anything before that.
Thanks in advance!!
Belinda

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Dec 2007 10:59

Where was she born?

The marriage cert will tell you her father's name and occupation.

Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Dec 2007 11:01

Have you looked for the brother in 1881?

Reg

Belinda

Belinda Report 5 Dec 2007 11:03

Thats the weird thing Reggie I cant find anything on her apart from the census's I mentioned!! I've only just noticed that her brother is living with her on the 1901 census. I had a look on the 1871 census but that isnt the same catherine miller. I know it was June 1884 when she married Adam Miller and I know it was in liverpool but I've drawn a blank to anything else.

Belinda

Belinda Report 5 Dec 2007 11:08

How do I access 1881 census I thought they missed that out on here Reg!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Dec 2007 11:08

Her name in 1871 would not have been Miller

These are the details you need to order the marriage cert

Name: Adam William Miller
Year of Registration: 1884
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
District: Liverpool (1837-1934)
County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 378
Catherine Sweeney

Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Dec 2007 11:09

1881 is completely free on www.familysearch.org

Reg

Belinda

Belinda Report 5 Dec 2007 11:18

her maiden name was Sweeney, Married Adam Miller had children, Christina, John, Hannah, Michael & Mary If that helps!!!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Dec 2007 11:19

Sorry, I deleted the last two posts as I was looking at Catherine Sweeney in 1891 instead of Catherine Miller.

Kath. x

Belinda

Belinda Report 5 Dec 2007 11:24

This is so frustrating at times!!!

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 5 Dec 2007 11:51

Was Adam born in 1872?

If so, is it likely that Christina and John are his children?

I'm wondering whether Catherine was married before - to a chap called Sweeney - so her maiden name would have been something completely different?

How do you know Patrick is her brother? He could have been a relation of her first husband (if she had been married before)?

Just thinking aloud here ...

Jill

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 5 Dec 2007 11:55

Just noticed in 1891 that he was born in 1863 so that puts paid to my married-before theory ...

Jill

Belinda

Belinda Report 5 Dec 2007 11:55

no more cans of worms please *cries* lol, christina and John were adam and catherine's children Jill yes. I've found loads on Adam but not much on Catherine as you can tell by my threads! have been in touch with Adam and Catherine's other gt granddaughter (mary's grandchild) and she is stuck the same as me!

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 5 Dec 2007 12:02

Sorry Belinda - it's just his age on 1901 threw me for a minute.

Do you have Catherine and Adam's marriage cert - that will give you her father's name and will help on searching?

Jill

Diane

Diane Report 5 Dec 2007 12:13

That Catherine was still a Sweeny in 1891

Potty

Potty Report 5 Dec 2007 12:24

Belinda

Have just looked at the image for 1901 - it doesn't actually say that he is her brother. It says "boarder" so he could be any relation or none.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Dec 2007 12:29

Buy the marriage cert...........it really is the only way to make progress.......

Reg

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 5 Dec 2007 14:02

is this her in 1881

Name: Catherine Sweeney
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1865
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: James
Mother's Name: Caroline
Where born: Lpool

Civil Parish: Liverpool
County/Island: Lancashire

Street address: 19 Laurence Street
Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Liverpool
Sub-registration district: St Martin
ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Caroline Sweeney 40
Catherine Sweeney 16
Elizabeth Sweeney 12
George Sweeney 14
James Sweeney 40
James Sweeney 21
Mary Ann Sweeney 6
Rosiena Sweeney 1
Sarah Sweeney 19

Belinda

Belinda Report 5 Dec 2007 16:29

Thanks for all your help! her father was thomas(b1831) and her mother was called catherine (b 1832) although. Just a quick question though, do you know if it was normal for Parents to leave behind their offspring when emigrating to america? I think it was possibly due to the potato famine of 1846. Thomas' father was called Patrick (b 1877) and his mother nancy they were both born in Sligo and I have found their burial site at a cemetery in New York. (Thanks for your funny feeling reg!) I have no clue as to what happened to Thomas during this time!!
Thanks for all your help I dont know what I'd do without you!!!!!