Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption/Fostered

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 8 Dec 2007 01:05

Can anyone remember working at the Crusade of Rescue, Ladbroke Grove, London in the early 1960s?

I would dearly love to know how the children whom I loved, have done in their lives.

All replies welcome.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 8 Dec 2007 01:57

Interesting commentary on the "Crusade of Rescue" from a child of one of the "rescued" women:

http://209.85.207.104/search?q=cache:q9ybsmc3t4QJ:uk420.com/
boards/lofiversion/index.php/%255BADVERT%2520REMVOVED%255D/
ws/t76986.html+%22Crusade+of+Rescue%22+%22Ladbroke+Grove%22
&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=ca

"My birth mum went through something quite similar in London in the 60's, but not quite so extreme. Poor, young, wicked girl from Stoke (as the nuns saw her) gets herself pregnant and decides on adoption. Moves into The Crusade of Rescue (isn't that a beaut of a name, considering it was based in Ladbroke Grove and was full of girls with mixed race babies; rescue from what) and has to work hard the whole term she is there. On the day she gave birth to me she was defrosting and cleaning a huge walk in freezer and complaining of stomach cramps, but because she was only 8 months gone she was 'forced' to continue."

Reminds me of Rita whatsername in A Taste of Honey ...

The "Crusade of Rescue" is now called "Catholic Children’s Society (Westminster)" and could have some kind of reunion service, I dunno.

http://www.cathchild.org.uk/newsletters/CCSNEWSSPRING07FINAL143913.pdf

"However, we are also very aware that when we changed our name from Crusade of Rescue to Catholic Children’s Society (Westminster) in the 1980’s that this led to decades of confusion about who CCS(W) was in relation to the Crusade of Rescue, with many believing that CCS(W) was a new organisation setting itself up against the Crusade of Rescue."