Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Grandfathers parents

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fritzy

Fritzy Report 9 Dec 2007 13:25

Trying to find Charles Thompson's Parents .
Charles was born in c 1889 and married my granmother Hannah Murray Fitzgerald. They married 17/11/1910 .
It is stated that he died aged 26 in France in the 14/18 war, and gives his service No as 13559, However I have since checked the war documents etc. and have found that the Charles Thompson with the same Service No. was 29 when he re-enlisted in 1914.
Either the Theivil memorial is wrong or the army papers are wrong ??. It is stated on Memorial (Web-Site) that he also served in India.
Marriage lines state that his father Jack was deceased . Charles was 21 on Marraige lines. Can Anyone sort this tangle out??
All Help would be appreciated.
Cyndy

Patricia

Patricia Report 10 Dec 2007 19:27

Did any of them come from Malton or Thirsk in Yorkshire
Regards Pat

Thomas

Thomas Report 10 Dec 2007 21:41

Hi Elsie, I would say that the death was linked to the wrong Charles Thompson and the memorial is wrong. If you look at the pension records that you quote, they are mixed up between two people. I would look for another Charles in the pension records. To complicate it even more, the army records are far from complete. Around 30 Charles Thompsons died in WW1 - thats the ones with only one first name.
The marriage seems to have taken place in Tynemouth - so I looked in the 1901 census for charles and his family - one likely family is below
Chas Thompson11
Ellen Thompson44
John Thompson48
M Thompson16
R M Thompson4
S A Thompson9
W Thompson13

best wishes - tom