Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Divorce 1880- 1892

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Esther with my feet in the Tyne

Esther with my feet in the Tyne Report 9 Dec 2007 14:30

Hi,
Can anybody tell me how i would find a Divorce in the North East of England between these 2 dates please?
Many Thanks
Donna

Willow

Willow Report 9 Dec 2007 14:35

Hi

Heres a guide to divorce from the national archives where all the paperwork to divorce's circa that date are stored

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=53

If the divorce did occur during them dates then almost of the paperwork still survives..

Happy hunting

Esther with my feet in the Tyne Report 9 Dec 2007 14:37

Hi Willow,
Thank you so much,
Am off a hunting
Donna :-)

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 9 Dec 2007 14:40

I think I read somewhere that divorces are now name searchable on the National Archives catalogue. Just put the persons name in to the search. Records will be under J77 or J78.

Willow

Willow Report 9 Dec 2007 14:42

Hi

No problem, if you just want to see if they were actually divorced and you just want the decree absolute (which tells you no information about why they were divorced) then you can apply to:

Principal Registry of the Family Division, Decree Absolute Section, First Avenue House, 42-49 High Holborn, London WC1V 6NP

But be aware the prices have gone up and to £40! now.

I would prefer to opt for the paperwork at the national archives.

Esther with my feet in the Tyne Report 9 Dec 2007 14:49

Hi Willow and Ann,
Thank you both thats really going to help and save me lots of time and money, i just really want to know if one of my gents divorced his 1st wife before he married his 2nd as i can find no record of his 1st wife's death, hmmmmmm.
You have really helped a lot
Take care
Donna ;-)