Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Using FreeBMD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 9 Dec 2007 20:37

I was put onto FreeBMD by members of this forum and was very grateful. Is this site just to get the reference numbers for sending off for certificates or can you get more information like copies of censuses like you can do on GR (but it costs you credits)? Am I making the most of the FreeBMD site?

Linda

jansmith

jansmith Report 9 Dec 2007 20:55

http://freecen.rootsweb.com/ this is the free site for census but not all areas have yet been transcribed. 1881 census is free to search on http://www.familysearch.org/ as well as some early records. Hope this helps

Heather

Heather Report 9 Dec 2007 21:06

freebmd is the bmd index being transcribed by wonderful volunteers, so they are working their way through, bless them - its a wonderful boon to us all.

The references are the GRO refs to buy certificates for £7 from the GRO online site. There are no census on there and no credits.

Do not use this site - GR - for census info because the credits will cost a fortune. If you want to sub to a site for all the censuses available plus bmd and some parish records and WW1 pension records, pallots marriages and lots more - pay for a year sub on ancestry.co.uk -its what we all use for our research and worth every penny of the £80 per year 24/7 usage. If you google ancestry.co.uk free trial you will be able to try it for 14 days free and you will most certainly want to keep it.

Linda

Linda Report 9 Dec 2007 21:42

Thank you so much Janice and Heather for this information. It never ceases to amaze me how much info I get from this forum!

Linda

Heather

Heather Report 9 Dec 2007 22:53

Linda, nip over to Tips Board and Ill nudge up Tips for Newbies for you.