Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Richard Tester Harber

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 9 Dec 2007 22:01

Hi,
Am looking for help with families Tester and Harber/our/or who intermarried and some combined the names. I have a Richard Tester Harbour bapt. 29/4/1787 at Worth St Nicholas with mother Ann Harbour notes saying he was baseborn. I have this Richard Tester Harber marrying Sarah Robinson 18/12/1822 at Billingshurst. This Richard Tester Harber had been married previously.

I am particularly looking for info. on his first wife whose name could be Caroline or have Caroline as part of her name. There is a bapt.entry in the Billingshurst Bapts. for Richard Harber 28/12/1823 with father Richard and mother && Caroline.

These Richard Tester Harbers were charcoal burners.

Hoping someone can help with finding info. on the first wife.

Cheers Julie

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 9 Dec 2007 22:11

is this one of yours

RICHARD TESTER HARBER Pedigree
Male Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages:
Spouse: MARY CHESEMER Family
Marriage: 26 MAR 1845 Kirdford, Sussex, England

Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the marriage date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:

M070701 1558 - 1876 0918270-271, 0416749 Film 6902102 Film

Sheet: 00

Julie

Julie Report 9 Dec 2007 22:50

Hi,

Thank you for sending me that entry. I thought at first it was the Richard I was looking for but now I am not sure. I am in Australia and a Richard Tester Harber born 1852 in Sussex came here and on his death certificate it stated his parents names were Richard Harber and Mary Putlock so now I am doubting that the entry that you have sent me is the right one.

I can't find a marriage for a Richard and Mary Putlock either so I guess I am looking for 2 marriages really not just the one I first listed.

Cheers Julie

Jill

Jill Report 9 Dec 2007 23:25

Marriages Mar 1845 (>99%)

Chesemere Mary Petworth 7 535
HARBER Richard Jester Petworth 7 535
Harber Richard Tester Petworth 7 535

Julie

Julie Report 9 Dec 2007 23:45

Hi Jill,

Thanks for the response. I think that is the same entry from Siobhan above and I don't think it is right because one of the ones I am looking for is Puttock not Chesemere.

Cheers Julie

Jill

Jill Report 9 Dec 2007 23:52

im looking through some other things for you Julie,
hes the only Richard Tester Harber showing at the minute do you have any childrens names for 1823 Richard, just to try work back from

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 10 Dec 2007 00:01

could Mary of been married before? perhaps her maiden name was Puttock but when she married Richard she had the surname chesemere.

Jill

Jill Report 10 Dec 2007 00:02

thats what i was thinking Siobhan just having a look for that,

Julie

Julie Report 10 Dec 2007 00:12

Hi Jill,
I don't know how to explain this as it is sooooo complex. I have Richard Tester Harber (RTH) b.1823 married to an Amelia Sarah Robinson Harber whose father was Emanuel Harber who also had a father was RTH who married Sarah Robinson in 1822. In other words Amelia married her cousin

I don't believe that Sarah was the mother of RTH I believe he is the product of a first marriage for RTH.

I hope that explains it because I get lost especially when the family of RTH and Sarah are listed as Tester in the 1840 Census.

Cheers Julie

Julie

Julie Report 10 Dec 2007 00:16

Thank you both so much for trying to help me sort this out.

I see what you are getting at Mary Chesemar might have originally been Mary Puttock and then married a second time and used the name Chesemar when she married my RTH

Is that what you think it might be.

Cheers Julie

Jill

Jill Report 10 Dec 2007 00:16

ooooooooo blimey, i think im following,
our familes didnt make it easy or us did they,

Jill

Jill Report 10 Dec 2007 00:24

its a possible Julie but i cant find a marriage if that is the case,

looking for different spellings as well
then i go and find a puttick marrying a chesemere and in sussex too. but females names eliza..

i will keep looking and if anything shows i will get back to you.
sorry i havent been able to help you more.

Jill

Julie

Julie Report 10 Dec 2007 00:24

How right you are Jill. Do either of you have these people in your tree or are you helping me out of the goodness of your hearts. Either way thank you so much. If they are in your trees then we are connected.

Cheers Julie

Julie

Julie Report 10 Dec 2007 00:27

By the way for the RTH married to Mary Chesemar I have childre: Jane 1848, Mary 1855, Abel 1861, Louisa 1868 and RTH 1852 he is the one who came to Aust.

Jill

Jill Report 10 Dec 2007 00:32

i dont have them in my tree Julie,
happy to help if i can though.

1861 census i found them and he was born billingshurst,

Name: Richard Harber
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1824
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary
Where born: Billingshurst, Sussex, England

Civil Parish: Otford
County/Island: Kent

Street address:

Condition as to marriage: View Image

Registration district: Sevenoaks
Sub-registration district: Shoreham
ED, institution, or vessel: 5
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 96
Household Members: Name Age
Abel Harber 3 Mo
Alice Harber 4
Jane Harber 12
Mary Harber 37
Mary Harber 6
Richard Harber 37
Richard Harber 9

Jill

Jill Report 10 Dec 2007 00:33

will get back to you if i find anything else to help you.

Julie

Julie Report 10 Dec 2007 00:38

Thanks for the 1861 census info at least they are called Harber there. It is the son Richard who came to Aust.

Thank you so much Jill I really do appreciate your interest and help.

Cheers Julie