Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SORTED(for time being)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lee in Oz

Lee in Oz Report 14 Dec 2007 01:56

I have been stuck now for a fair while on trying to find birth records for my ggg granddad. His name is James Turner and married a Mary Ann Spencer in Victoria Australia in 1869. His marriage record has Middlesex as his birth place ( there was no birth date on this record). I have found 2 conflicting records on other sites about his approximate year of birth. 1 says he was born in 1827 which would have made him 20 years older than his wife and another record saying he was born in 1843.

is there anyone out there who think they could help me or send me in the right direction please? As i would love to find his parents and any siblings he had aswell and possibly when he came out to australia.

Thanks for your time
Regards
Lee

Sue from Perth Oz

Sue from Perth Oz Report 14 Dec 2007 03:19

Have you got his death cert,might give parents names.

Sue

Sam

Sam Report 14 Dec 2007 08:51

When did he travel to Australia? Have you found him on an English census?

Are you sure the 2 conflicting records are for the same person? James Turner is quite a common name and a 15 year difference in age is rather a lot! How old was he when he married?

Sam x

Narelle

Narelle Report 14 Dec 2007 09:09

Hello Lee,
Kerri on this "Records Office" site will do free lookups on Vic shipping for you.
good luck Narelle

Lee in Oz

Lee in Oz Report 14 Dec 2007 12:19

Sue i havent got his death certificate but that was going to be my next try if everything else failed.

Sam not sure when he travelled to australia and haven't been able to pin point him on any census records as there is alot of James Turner's. The 2 conflicting records seem to be him as they both have him married to the same person on the exact same date in the same place and i'm not sure how old he was when he got married.

Narelle i will try to see if Kerri can find him on the shipping records but it might be hard to pin point him because of the common name and not sure when he came over, all i know is he would have come over before or around 1869.

Thanks guys

Kind Regards
Lee

Potty

Potty Report 14 Dec 2007 12:42

What were the sites you found him on? If it was the IGI are they submitted or extracted records?

Lee in Oz

Lee in Oz Report 15 Dec 2007 02:33

potty the sites were ancestorhunt and familytree searcher but i cant seem to find his records on either site now for some strange reason.

Thanks West Country Lass, i did already find that record at igi.

I found one death record for a james turner in victoria australia that had wife's name down as mary ann spencer, it said he died 1883 at the age of 61 but i don't think it's him cause the birth year is different than the other 2 i found.

Regards
Lee

Potty

Potty Report 15 Dec 2007 14:04

Lee

Ages on certs even death certs can be wrong - information is only what the person giving it thinks and quite often then people didn't really know themselves how old they were.

If one of the records is an IGI submitted, it could very well be wrong. I found 4 for the same person today, all had different places of birth and death.

Potty

Lee in Oz

Lee in Oz Report 15 Dec 2007 14:16

Hi Potty,
I will definately keep that in mind while continuing my search.

I have come to learn that the IGI submitted records do tend to be wrong. So the search continues for now.

Kind Regards
Lee