Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

thomas fawcett

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marie

Marie Report 14 Dec 2007 19:08

hi im trying to find a connection with thomas fawcett born 1791 kirby knowle yorkshire-he married an abigail born 1806 they had isaac b1830-hannah b1834-ann b 1837 all kirby knowle isaac was a coal miner

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 14 Dec 2007 21:56

Marie -- I sent you a message, and I hope you've seen Suzi-Wong's reply to another post of yours now, and read the "please read" thread.

As you can see, this post doesn't even show the surname of the person you're looking for, even though you could see it when you wrote the post.

I might point out that nobody can tell what you are looking for, from what you have said.

A connection between Thomas and whom?

If yourself, what info do you have that suggests a connection?

You need to provide a lot more information -- whatever you have. Mainly, the

name
parents' names
spouse's name
children's names
date of birth
place of birth

of any person you are trying to connect up with this Thomas. Preferably in a nice organized list like that.

Otherwise, you're just going to have to hope that someone related to Thomas wanders in to the board for his surname, whatever it is, and says "hey, that's my grx4 grandfather's aunt's grandson!". Which doesn't often happen ...

What more often happens is that people who hang out here but are not related at all will try to help you find what you're after. But not without some more info, they can't!

Marie

Marie Report 16 Dec 2007 12:04

finally found it and thanks again for advice-do i put the info on all surname pages? and hope someone connects them- i try it now and see if correct.x

Marie

Marie Report 16 Dec 2007 12:43

hi im trying to find a connection with thomas fawcett born 1791 kirby knowle yorkshire-he married an abigail born 1806 they had isaac b1830-hannah b1834-ann b 1837 all kirby knowle isaac was a coal miner

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 16 Dec 2007 19:07

Hi again, Marie. I guess the thing is -- I can't tell what you want to know about this Thomas Fawcett. You know when he was born, whom he married and who his children were. Is it info from before him that you want -- his parents, e.g.?

If so, I'm afraid I'm no use to you, but maybe somebody will be able to help. (edit -- oops, I turned out to be possibly more useful than I thought!)

In the IGI, Kirby Knowle births in that period are in batch C105452, which unfortunately doesn't have any Fawcett births. His marriage also doesn't appear in M105452 or M105451.

Batch C105451 does have these births, all to Thomas and Abigail:

1. ISAAC FAWCET - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 28 AUG 1830 Kirby Knowle, Yorkshire, England
2. HANNAH FAWCETT - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 08 FEB 1833 Kirby Knowle, Yorkshire, England
3. ANN FAWCETT - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 22 OCT 1837 Kirby Knowle, Yorkshire, England

but batch C105452 also has no births for any Abigails. It may be that Thomas Fawcett and Abigail actually came from another parish.

How about this marriage?

THOMAS FAWCITT
Spouse: ABIGAIL SMITH
Marriage: 18 FEB 1819 South Kilvington, Yorkshire, England
Batch No.: M105301

The names are unusual enough that it might be a good bet. That batch also has these marriages:

1. JOSEPH FAWCIT - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Marriage: 22 MAY 1824 South Kilvington, Yorkshire, England
2. ANN FAWCETT - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Marriage: 26 JAN 1813 South Kilvington, Yorkshire, England
3. JOHN FAWCETT - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Marriage: 27 FEB 1821 South Kilvington, Yorkshire, England
4. THOMAS FAWCITT - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Marriage: 18 FEB 1819 South Kilvington, Yorkshire, England

If you search in batch C105302 in the IGI for surname Fawcett, you find several, various spellings, including two Thomases older than yours was -- although not by much. If his DOB in the 1841 census equalled 1791, he could have been born 1786-1791, and one of those baptisms is 1784. And one Smith.

This could be the Abigail Smith in question -- her DOB would be given as 1806 in the 1841 census:

ABIGAIL SMITH
Christening: 07 AUG 1802 Kirkby Fleetham, Yorkshire, England
Father: ISAAC SMITH
Batch No.: P015071

You can find the batch numbers for the parishes in the IGI here:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountryEngland.htm#PageTitle

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 16 Dec 2007 20:11

By the way, here are your Thomas and Abigail in 1851:

Name: Thomas Fawsit
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1785
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Abigal
Where born: Upsill, Yorkshire, England

Name: Abigal Fawsit
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1800
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: Thomas
Where born: Kirby Fleetham, Yorkshire, England

Civil Parish: Kirby Knowle
County/Island: Yorkshire

Registration district: Thirsk
Sub-registration district: Topcliffe
ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Household schedule number: 18

Abigal Fawsit 51
Thomas Fawsit 66
Robert H Fowsit 5

His birthplace does look like Upsill, but I don't know what that is. Ah. Google maps has Upsall right close to Kirby Knowle. And they're very close to South Kilvington, where Thomas Fawcitt and Abigail Smith married.

Abigail Fawcett's place birth, as shown in 1841, is Kirby Fleetham, which matches up perfectly with the Abigail Smith baptism record.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 16 Dec 2007 22:20

Just realized I screwed up my search for Thomas Fawcett births in the IGI ... looked for 1891 instead of 1791 ...

THOMAS FAWCET
birth: 12 MAY 1791
Christening: 12 MAY 1791 Kirkby Ravensworth, Yorkshire, England
Father: JOHN FAWCET
Mother: ANN
Batch No.: C060691

That's a possibility.

And another:

THOMAS FAWCET
Birth: 05 JUL 1795
Christening: 31 JUL 1795 Kirkby Ravensworth, Yorkshire, England
Father: WM. FAWCET
Mother: NANCY
Batch No.: C060691

Marie

Marie Report 18 Dec 2007 12:54

i am so gobsmacked at how you find this info-i obv i real beginer!!! but still enjoy it all.
thanks for what you gave me-i think the one that shows him born in 1791 is him-as i had his children and showed no robert and the other would make sense as the son was isaac- im not that far away i may try to get to the parish in the new year
thanks again
ps i have abigale born in 1806 tho

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 18 Dec 2007 14:37

Hi Marie -- jut one thing you may not know.

In the 1841 census, ages were rounded down to the nearest five years -- people were 30 or 35 or 60 or 65. So someone whose age works out to a birthdate of 1791 could have been born anytime from 1787 to 1791, and someone born 1806 could have been born anytime from 1802 to 1806.

Also, people didn't always know exactly how old they were -- or report it accurately. And the older they got, the less accurate their ages often got.

Also, a young child who appears in a census may not have lived to the next census. I know one set of my grx2 grparents (about the most prosperous set, in fact) had two kids in the 1851 who didn't live to the 1861, plus another who was born and died in the 1850s whom I only know about because someone found me a parish record of a batch baptism of four kids, two of whom died shortly after.

Now that Thomas in 1851 born 1785 ... that might well be that other Thomas in the IGI baptism records, very true.

Have fun!

Marie

Marie Report 18 Dec 2007 20:56

thank you-that makes sense! i dont know about fun ha ha but thats as im not too good on comp-i one of those who gets eye strain etc after five min-so i rush everything,which is shame as i love this family tree thing and i have found so much from the archives in the past but this is great having people who know what theyre doing helping me-thanks again