Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Brain needed.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dudley

Dudley Report 15 Dec 2007 12:44

Hi. Advice please on the following.
Caroline married Edward Spink in 1849. They had a son
Charles b.1851. Another son William was born in 1857 but by then husband Edward was not on the scene and was living in London with another woman . On the birth certificate Caroline put the husband down as a William Bromley Spink, a shoe maker journeyman by trade, and named the child William Bromley Spink.
Now for the complicated bit. Who was the father? Caroline seems so definite with the details on William birth certificate and states that William Bromley Spink was a shoemaker journeyman by trade.
Caroline had a brother in law called William who was unmarried at the time and of similar age.He was a sadler by trade. Was he the daddy? Or was a William BROMLEY the father. I have found three William Bromleys within the area who are shoe makers.
Has anyone come across a similar situation.?
I cannot understand as to why Caroline did not put her husbands name on the birth cert' to legitimise her son.
Also to make up a name like Bromley was strange as the name Bromley for a christian name is almost unheard of. Did she put the father as William Bromley and add Spink so that her son was called Spink to make life easier in the future.
Any ideas anybody?
Thanks Dud. (Apoligies if I have bored you)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Dec 2007 12:52

well she was still Mrs Spink even tho Edward had deserted her . she was entitled therefore to register the child as Spink but probably acknowledged the father was a Mr Bromley by adding that name to the boy. i have seen that done many times I have one too where the wife was deserted but then lived with another man and had several children by him all the children were reg in her married cos she was still Mrs >>> but the children including the girls had the name Montague as another christian name,their dad was a Daniel Montague.

have you found her on the 1861 cenus ,maybe she living with Mr Bromley by then

So!! your williams father was probably William Bromley

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Dec 2007 13:22

cant see them on the 1861 but this probably them on the 1871 living on their own.

Name: Caroline Spink
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1831
Relation: Head
Where born: Walsall, Staffordshire, England

Civil Parish: Walsall
Ecclesiastical parish: St Matthew
Town: Walsall
County/Island: Staffordshire

Street address:2 Temple Street

Condition as to marriage:mar

Disability: View Image

Registration district: Walsall
Sub-registration district: Walsall
ED, institution, or vessel: 8
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 2
Household Members: Name Age
Caroline Spink 40
Charles Spink 21
William Spink 13

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 2961; Folio: 26; Page: 1; GSU roll: 836427.

Thelma

Thelma Report 15 Dec 2007 13:25

Cannot help with your problem.
Questioning Charles birth year.
J C Spink Edward,Caroline abt 1850 Walsall, Staffordshire, England Son Walsall Foreign Staffordshire

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 15 Dec 2007 13:42

In 1861 she's a servant with the Craddock family. She has 3 year old William with her.
No problem with birth year for Charles, Jim, that was the 71 census where he was 21.

Dudley

Dudley Report 15 Dec 2007 18:22

Hi All. Many thanks for your interest and help. Dud.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 15 Dec 2007 19:06

A baptism register might give the correct name of the child's father.

Gwyn