Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please help me find some info!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shonagh

Shonagh Report 15 Dec 2007 19:27

Hi I'm trying to trace any relatives of Benjamin Haines and Emily Jane (nee Ball) who would have been my great grandparents. They lived at 8 Churchhill Road, St Thomas, Exceter they owned a Tobaconist Shop. They had twin daughters Doris and Elsie (my grandmother) born 9/2/1915. They were put into Barnardos as I believe they couldn't afford to look after them.

I do not know if they had any younger/older brothers or sisters and don't know anything about any Aunts or Uncles. Any information/help would be appreciated.

Regards, Shonagh

Joan

Joan Report 15 Dec 2007 19:49

Shonagh,

Do you know when Benjamin and Emily were married? I found a record for a Haines birth in Exeter in 1906--any relation?

Births Jun 1906 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAINES Adrienne Exeter 5b 69

Shonagh

Shonagh Report 15 Dec 2007 19:53

Hi Alice
Thanks for that. I'm not sure of dates and that would have meant that he was 39 when my granma was born. I will build up all the info I get and hopefully get the details to add to my tree.

Much appreciated
Shonagh

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Dec 2007 19:54

These are the birth reg'ns for the twins

Doris Haines 1915 Jan-Feb-Mar Ball St Thomas Devon

Elsie Haines 1915 Jan-Feb-Mar Ball St Thomas Devon

Reg

Shonagh

Shonagh Report 15 Dec 2007 19:59

Hi Joan

I have no idea of when and where they were married. All I have is the address as above. My granma didn't know anymore details and she didn't recall older siblings but have since found out that she thought there was a brother but again have no details wot so ever of how she knew. I have gotten lost where to start looking in the census but wondered if it would have showed their address and all siblings at the time.

Regards, Shonagh

Shonagh

Shonagh Report 15 Dec 2007 20:02

Hi Reggie

You have got them! I would like to find out if they had any brothers/sisters and also who their grandparents were too.

Regards, Shonagh

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Dec 2007 20:03

Can't find a marriage reg'n for Benjamin Haines to anyone named Ball

Do you have the birth cert for your grandmother?

Reg

Joan

Joan Report 15 Dec 2007 20:06

Shonagh,

Here's another birth record for a Haines/Ball.

Births Jun 1921 (66%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haines Hilda M Ball Blaby 7a 63

Shonagh

Shonagh Report 15 Dec 2007 20:06

Hi Reggie

Yes my father does. I would have to get a hold of it tomorrow! That's how we found out their parents names and where they stayed before being put into Barnardos. What other info would you be looking for on the birth cert?

Shonagh

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Dec 2007 20:07

There is one other Haines birth in the same district..........only the cert will tell you if she's a sibling of the twins

Female Haines 1908 Jul-Aug-Sep St Thomas Devon Volume: 5b Page: 29

Reg

Shonagh

Shonagh Report 15 Dec 2007 20:13

Hi Reggie

This is very interesting! I'm not sure what age my granma was when put into Barnardos but if she was young enough she may not have remembered if there were older siblings. I have some one I could check with roughly what age she was.

Shonagh

Shonagh

Shonagh Report 15 Dec 2007 20:22

Many thanks to all that have helped me so quickly. I will go look at my granma's birth cert. again to find more details

Regards, Shonagh