Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

trying to trace family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kelly

Kelly Report 16 Dec 2007 10:31

I have just found out that my great grandfather didnt die in ww2!!! i found this out by getting his raf records, we were always told that he died during the war!! i am new to searching family tree's and would like some advice on how to find out what happend to him after the war,i have his date of birth and father and mothers name

thank you for your time
kelly

Linda G

Linda G Report 16 Dec 2007 10:53

Hi Kelly,

If you post his name, date and place of birth and anything else you know about him I am sure someone on here will be able to help you

Linda

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Dec 2007 10:57

First of all....Are you 100% sure that you have the correct RAF records....Not doubting you, but it could be a mixup if it's a common name.

If he is your man and didn't die I would suggest that the family story was to cover up something which they didn't want known...
eg. mental illness....or maybe him going off to marry someone else.
Does he have a common surname?
If not you could trawl through deaths and marriages for someone the same name.
Have you checked on GR namesearch...maybe he had a 2nd family and is on someone's tree.

Gwyn

Kelly

Kelly Report 16 Dec 2007 17:30

thanks for your ideas i think you might be right i think it was a cover up, i am sure the records are right as they have my gr grandfathers son on them(my dads dad) his name was William Arthur Jeffrey born 10th oct 1909 in gosforth he married joan kathleen pulsford in york in 1938, his dad was william edward jeffrey and his mum was mary jane graham.
thankyou so much for your help
kelly