Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Divorce

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 19 Dec 2007 16:08

I posted a message in November about my Grandfather William Savage Prentice, and apparently he was married before he was married to my Grandmother to a lady called Margaret Agnes Leavesley in 1895, they had 2 children William & Mary. I then found that MAL married a Thomas Wake in 1903, was it possible to get a divorce in those days, because for a few weeks I was thinking my Grandfather had commited bigamy
Any help would be helpful

Jane

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 19 Dec 2007 16:32

Jane

Divorces are now name searchable on the National Archives catalogue - they say most records survive for this period. There is no divorce for the Prentice names you mention. Divorce at that time was expensive, and lots of people didn't bother with it!

webwiz

webwiz Report 19 Dec 2007 16:33

Divorce has always been possible, but even Henry VIII found it difficult. Around 1900 it would have not been rare in the upper classes and not completely impossible in the lower classes. Do you have your grandfather's marriage certificate? This should help you. Also the remarriage of his first wife although otherwise of little interest to you.

imp

imp Report 19 Dec 2007 18:11

Just as an added point of interest, William Prentice Juniors WW1 pension record is on Ancestry detailing his wife and naming James Richardson as his stepfather, address 9 Harrisons Buildings,
Sunderland.

Are you sure she married Thomas Wake.

Margaret Agnes Prentice 1903 Q3 Sunderland
Volume: 10a
Page: 1023

James Richardson and Thomas Burden Wake on same page

Have also checked the divorce records on Findmypast and nothing coming up,

Gail.

Jane

Jane Report 21 Dec 2007 17:07

Many thanks Gail I have checked WW1 pensions record

Merry Christmas or as in Portugal Feliz Natal