Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PLEASE HELP

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tammy

Tammy Report 20 Dec 2007 20:54

HI CAN ANYONE HELP ME? IM TRYING TO FIND MY HALF SISTER. IVE FOUND OUT THE YEAR SHE WAS BORN WITCH WAS 1974 ON THE RECORDS HER NAME IS CAROL ANNE NUTTALL.BUT HER MUM ANN TANNAHILL REMARRIED AND HER NEW MAN ADOPTED HER .DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I CAN FIND OUT WHAT HER ADORTED NAME IS? PLEASE HELP THANKS.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 Dec 2007 21:11

Hi Tammy -- was Nuttall the married name of Ann Tannahill?

If so, she would probably have remarried as Ann Nuttall. Do you know whether it would have been before or after 1984?

After 1984 -- there is a database that it is easy to search for that period -- there are 9 marriages of Ann/Anne Nuttalls. Do you know where it would have been?

If it was before 1984 and you have a reasonable idea of when and where it was, someone (like me) could download the pages that have to be looked at to find the name and look at a year or two's worth.

Now, just in case her name wasn't actually changed -- there are two marriages for the name Carol A Nuttall and one for Carole A Nuttall since 1995, in Bury, Dwyfor and Dudley.

If we can find the remarriage of Ann Tannahill Nuttall, that would give us the surname of Carole Anne Nuttall's stepfather. Then we could look to see whether she has married since 1984, and either way, see whether she can be found in things like the phone book or the electoral roll.

Just stop typing in all capitals, and life will be much easier at this end. ;)

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 Dec 2007 21:17

Was Ann Tannahill by any chance born in Ireland?

If you put her name into the search box up at the top of the page, you will see that someone has an Ann Tannahill born in 1950 in his tree.

You should also make sure you have a tree yourself with her name as you know it. You only have to have a three-person tree if that's all you want -- you, your sister and her mother. That way anyone searching for her could find you.

Tammy

Tammy Report 20 Dec 2007 21:30

HI Kathryn
Ann was married to my dad witch is nuttall.She got remarried between 1977 and 1979 i think they got married at oldham town hall.I know they lived in werneth
if that helps thanks for your help kindest regards
Tammy

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 Dec 2007 21:41

Okay, I'm going to go trawling through the GRO pages for you. I'll start at 1977, and I'm not going past 1979! Be back if I find something ... or if I don't ...

Tammy

Tammy Report 20 Dec 2007 21:45

thank you im sorry i havn't got a lot of info to go on .
thanks again tammy

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 Dec 2007 21:53

Okay. Some options. the lists give name, spouse's surname, district, volume and page number.

Oct-Nov-Dec 1978

Ann Nuttall
Whitehead
Bury
38 0321

Anne M. Nuttall
Dray
Camelford
21 0098
(that one is entered twice and I don't know why -- the data seem to be the same)

Jul-Aug-Sep 1978

Ann M. Nuttall
Swift
Leigh
39 2429

Anne M. Nuttall
Edwards
Cardigan C
24 0692

Apr-May-Jun 1979

Ann B. Nuttall
Hastings
Bromsgrove
29 0110

And that's it from start of 1977 to end of 1979. Not quite as cut and dried as one might have hoped.

I'm not in England, don't know the geography of that part of it. Can you get an idea from those district names whether any of them are likely to be her? Or do any of the husbands' names sound familiar to you, or anybody you could ask?

Tammy

Tammy Report 20 Dec 2007 22:05

HI again
im going to see if any of them sound familiar to my mum. as my dad wont help .Im going to do some digging now with the names you have given me .im so greatful for your help. Thank you again.
regards tammy

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 Dec 2007 22:08

You're welcome -- whatever you come up with, just add it to this thread, and I'll see there's a new post when I check "my threads" when I'm around, and of course somebody else with ideas might take a look.

I checked for marriages after 1992 for what looked like the likeliest names --

Carol A Whitehead
Carol A Hastings
Carol A Leigh

and there were several of each, including one or two in the Manchester area in each case. If you can narrow down the stepfather's name, we can narrow down the marriage possibilities, to see whether Carol Ann has yet another surname now. ;)