Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help where do i go from here??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 22 Dec 2007 18:11

I have been looking for army records of my gt grandfather John J Lewis staffordshire regiment based Dublin 1891.
Have now found 2 in Dublin in Staffordshire regiment.
dont know much about him one is 1995 of H company and one is 2148 of E Company now what do i do??

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 22 Dec 2007 18:54

Ireland is a bit of a blank for me but have you been looking on Ancestry? Does the record show a next of kin that may help you?

Inis has a thread on Tips (I think) where he offers to try & help with Ireland.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 22 Dec 2007 19:26

Do you mean the 2 you've found were in the Staffs regiment in WW1? The sheet headed Attestation will say when they joined, so if not 1891 or before, or they are too young to have been in the Army in 1891 then you can rule them out. Just because your man was in that regiment in 1891 doesn't necessarily mean he was in the same one in WW1.

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 22 Dec 2007 21:04

He never fought in WW1 as he was an invalid in 1901 census. I know very little about him.

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 22 Dec 2007 22:43

His Army records if they survive, will be at National Archives. Not sure where you mean you've found the 2 possibilities - on a census?

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 23 Dec 2007 11:30

a researcher found them for me but as their are 2 where do i go from there??

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 23 Dec 2007 16:13

You need to find out more about your man. When was he born and where? Then you will be able to compare this info with what's on the Attestations. Also his occupation prior to joining the Army. Do the service papers mention parents or wife? This could help too.

Ivy

Ivy Report 23 Dec 2007 16:22

If he was an invalid in 1901 then the records may show a pension, which would have stopped when he died. Could you distinguish between the two soldiers on the basis of your g-grandfather's date of death? (not that I know what these records will contain, just going on the basis of the type of record held for the WWI pensioners).

Ivy

Ivy Report 23 Dec 2007 16:28

The 1901 census ref may be this one:

Class: RG13; Piece: 2680; Folio: 76; Page: 33

but is your query more about how to take the military records one step further?

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 23 Dec 2007 16:41

yes RG13 piece 2680 folio 76 page 33 schedule no 189 and i know thats right as my gt grandmother was Penelope & thay married in Dublin Kildsre as i have certificate and my grandfathers birth certificate but how do i get further i have 2 John Lewis all i know is he born Wolverhasmpton c 1868 and his father blacksmith Joseph Lewis cant find birth certificate for him!

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 23 Dec 2007 16:45

So if you know where and when he was born, you should be able to distinguish which of the 2 is yours.