Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Clara Fitches?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beverley

Beverley Report 26 Dec 2007 23:13

Hi, I know this is a long shot but I am trying to find an Ethel Fitches who was my Grandfathers (Ernest Fitches, 1898, Suffolk) sister (I think). His siblings were:
Annie born1894
Emily born c1896
Lily born c1897 and died aged 6 years.
Albert born 1900.
My mother says that she can also remember an auntie Ethel who was her father's sister and I can remember going to see her in Stevenage when I was young. She was married to a Thomas Sangster and they had a son called John. I have tried to find records of Ethel (she was a couple of years younger than Ernest) but have had no luck.
The only thing I can think of is that she was in fact Clara (who was a cousin) and was brought up as their sister. They lived in the same village. She was born around the time Lily died and was one of Ernests fathers brothers daughters. Clara's mother had another daughter within a year of Clara being born. Would it be likely that Clara was brought up by her uncle and grew up as their sister? Any info at all would be great but I realise that these family trees/ties were often complicated to say the least!!
Regards Bev

Heather

Heather Report 27 Dec 2007 00:09

Have you tried looking for the marriage to the Sangster and then buying the certificate which would give you her fathers name?

Where have you looked for records on her?

Take it you have discounted this one? I know you say she was a couple of years younger than Earnest but memories can be deceptive? Re the relationship - when I was a child everyone in the extended family were referred to as auntie or uncle, whatever their true relationship to my parents.

Name: Ethel May Fitches
Year of Registration: 1905
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Ware
County: Hertfordshire
Volume: 3a
Page: 712 (

This would tie in with this death :(that is, an Ethel May Fitches married a Sangster in Hertfordshire)

me: Ethel May Sangster
Birth Date: 18 Aug 1905
Death Registration Month/Year: Jul 1996
Age at death (estimated): 90
Registration district: Hitchin and Stevenage
Inferred County: Hertfordshire
Register number: 1B
Entry Number: 264

Freebmd is unlikely to have the marriage if it is in the early 20th century as they are still transcribing. Youd have to go through the complete index quarter by quarter on ancestry or find my past or you can do a name search for marriages up to 1920 on familyrelatives.org pay to view.

Beverley

Beverley Report 27 Dec 2007 01:50

Hi, thankyou so much for the above information; it has been very helpful. I will have a chat to mum in the morning!
Regards Bev