Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Beatrice Barrett..........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Forgetmenot

Forgetmenot Report 28 Dec 2007 13:07

Please can anyone help? I have looked on Ancestry for Beatrice Barrett, I found her in the 1901 Census, as below, I need to find her birth so I can order a birth cert.

Beatrice Barrett
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1897
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Edward
Mother's Name: Ruth
Where born: Hammersmith, London, England

Civil Parish: Paddington
Ecclesiastical parish: St John Kensal Green
County/Island: London

The trouble is I cannot find her birth, I can't find it under 'Hammersmith' am I looking for the wrong birth area?

Thank you to anyone who can help me as I don't know the areas of London.

Gillie XX

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 28 Dec 2007 13:13

This seems a bit out for age:

Births Sep 1898 (>99%)
Barrett Beatrice Alice Fulham 1a 317

Margaret

Margaret Report 28 Dec 2007 13:14

Gillie - there is a Beatrice Alice Barrett birth reg Sept Qtr 1898 Fulham on Freebmd. If you click on Fulham it tells you which area this covers and Hammersmith is part of the Fulham Reg. District. Hope this helps

Forgetmenot

Forgetmenot Report 28 Dec 2007 13:19

Jill and Margaret, thank you so much for your help, I am pretty sure this is her, there is a query over who her parents are, my mum said that Lilian was her mother and that it was known throughout the family, but on the Census it says Ruth is, I wonder if at 54 Ruth was covering for Lilian as she was an unmarried mother.

Gillie XX

Margaret

Margaret Report 28 Dec 2007 13:29

Hi Gillie - your Mum could be right. It is not unknown for families - to hide the 'shame' of an unmarried mother - to claim the child as their own. Whether these people actually registered the child as their own I don't know, OR it could have been a genuine error by the enumerator of the 1901 census. He knocks at door, father or mother presumably give information ie Head of Household, Husband/wife and then lists the other occupants. If informant then went on to say, eg. Joseph age 20, Bill 18, Lilian 16, Thomas 12, Amy, 9 and Beatrice 4, the enumerator may just have ASSUMED that they were all the children of the parents. Your only way is to get the certificate and hope that they told the truth when registering the child Beatrice.

Forgetmenot

Forgetmenot Report 28 Dec 2007 13:47

Thanks Margaret, I expect that is what happened, I wanted the certificate to just see if Ruth put herself down as mum or whether Lilian is the mum.

Many thanks for your help.

Gillie XX