Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Australian Emigration, year unknown

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 29 Dec 2007 19:25

Can anyone tell me how I go about finding information regarding people who emigrated to Australia. Trying to find information on husband's aunt and her family -

Rosabella Corbett, born Edinburgh 1915 married Andrew Graham McDonald on 05.06.1936 at Granton Church, Edinburgh. I do not know what year they emigrated or to which part of Australia they went to. I believe they had at least one daughter Marina.

Any help regarding how to find details would be greatly appreciated. Wishing you all a very happy new year and here's to finding more relatives!!

Sylvia Corbett

HelenBrissie

HelenBrissie Report 29 Dec 2007 22:24

Hi Sylvia

Your family travelled per GEORGIC departing UK on 13 May 1955 under the Assisted Passage Migration Scheme

MCDONALD Andrew Graham born 22 September 1911;
Rose (nee Corbett) born 8 September 1916;
Andrina Graham born 1 March 1937;
Ian Corbett born 29 November 1943;
Gordon T Drummond born 1 January 1946;

will see if I can find anymore.

bye for now Helen

p.s. you can request a copy of their immigration papers on National Archives http://naa12.naa.gov.au/Login.htm

Log on as guest. In general search type Andrew Graham McDonald & 1955. 1 hit shld come up, click, and request copy. Sorry it comes with a cost - A$16.40 but may give you a wealth of information.

HelenBrissie

HelenBrissie Report 29 Dec 2007 23:17

Hi Sylvia,

Go onto National Archives website

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/Login.htm

log on as guest

In Keywords type

MV GEORGIC REPORTS VOYAGE WELFARE INFORMATION OFFICERS

In dates type
1949-1955

You will get 1 hit click on display & then click on view digital image (FREE) .

There are 111 pages on the MV Georgic. I had a quick look through and the pages referring to your relatives voyage cover 14 - 16. Makes interesting reading, looks like the passengers weren't to happy with conditons, and a strike that took place before they left.

It also confirms that the voyage commenced in Liverpool, passengers disembarking in Freemantle, Melbourne and Sydney,

bye Helen

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 31 Dec 2007 11:11

Many thanks for the information. I will certainly go on to the website and request this information.
Many thanks once again Helen, You are a STAR.
Sylvia

Have a Happy New Year.