Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FRED LEIGHTON

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

P0TTER

P0TTER Report 31 Dec 2007 01:25

FRED LEIGHTON - Entertainment Manager at London Theatres and Hippodromes.
I do not know where Fred was born, but he definitely lived in SE London & Kent and was manager of the Sheerness Hippodrome on the Isle of Sheppey if he was connected with my ancestry.
I am trying to find the source of my Leighton maiden name.
I had previously thought that my Great Grandfather, Frederick James Hutchins b1873 had changed his surname to Leighton, but now know that he remarried & that his first wife must have got involved with FRED LEIGHTON, supposidly well known in the entertainment circles of London - does anyone know where & when he was born and where & when he died AND whet went on inbetween???
Update on previous entries re: my Grandfather TOM LEIGHTON previously Thomas Ptolemy Frederick HUTCHINS & his Family.
BORN 08/08/1894 as Thomas Ptolemy Frederick HUTCHINS
My grandfather was born at his father`s shop... Fred J Hutchins Jewellers, 35 Jewry Street, Winchester, Hampshire.
Soon after he was born, the family moved from Hampshire to Dorset - we know this, because his sister Gertrude May Eugenie HUTCHINS was born 3/8/1895 at home... at 23 East Street, Bridport, Dorset.
What happened over the next twenty years, between 1896-1915 is a mystery.
One thing for certain is that the entire family changed their surname from HUTCHINS to LEIGHTON !!!
Frederick James HUTCHINS b.1873 (My Great Grandfather) remarried (possibly a bigamist) Louisa Unknown.
Francis Gertrude Hutchins nee.COLMER became GERTIE LEIGHTON (My Great Grandmother)
My Grandfather became TOM LEIGHTON
His sister Gertrude May Eugenie HUTCHINS became MAY LEIGHTON and married Arthur Daniel JOYCE.
WHY & WHEN DID THE FAMILY NAME CHANGE???
Tom Leighton`s father Frederick James HUTCHINS b.1873 son of Frederick & Charlotte HUTCHINS nee.BOND.
Fred LEIGHTON served in the Army - he was an Army Officer according to the Father's occupation details on his daughter's Marriage Certificate in 1916.
For some unknown reason, the whole family changed their name to LEIGHTON between 1896 and 1915 and they moved to the Eltham & Woolwich area of SE London then Woolwich Kent... My Great Grandparents then called Fred & Gertie LEIGHTON moved to Sidcup, then Sheerness and then Scrapsgate Road in Minster on the Isle of Sheppy where Fred (who also used the name Tom Leighton!), having been involved with various London Theatres, eventually became Manager of the Hippodrome during the twenties or early thirties.
When May (as she was known) age 20 was married on 23/07/1916 at Woolwich, both her name and her father`s name had changed to LEIGHTON - in fact the whole family changed their surname and moved to Kent sometime between 1896 and 1916 for reasons still Unknown (15/09/2006)
Why did our nuclear HUTCHINS Family change all their names to LEIGHTON ? ...and why Leighton, rather than Smith or Jones or whatever???
IF ANYONE KNOWS WHY THE HUTCHINS FAMILY CHANGED THEIR NAME TO LEIGHTON PLEASE LET ME KNOW !
My grandfather married Ethel BRIAN on 26/09/1916 at Woolwich
- they had children unknown. One known to be Joy May LEIGHTON
They never divorced, but my Grandfather from c1925 lived at:
46 Wellington Gardens, Charlton SE7
with Dorothy May SARGENT nee.Hoskins and family of three Sargent children.
Tom & Dolly lived as man & wife and had 2 sons - Thomas Sargent-Leighton and my father Anthony (TONY) LEIGHTON. They never married - or divorced their former spouses, but were both buried together as husband and wife, both with the surname Leighton, in Charlton Cemetery.
Can anyone help me sort out this muddle and help me know the truth behind my LEIGHTON maiden name please?