Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sherlock Holmes needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 31 Dec 2007 16:48

Can't find Frank Harry Mortimer anywhere I look but from family hearsay I have his parents: Frederick William & Emma (nee Sales) who appear on 1901 at the Greenwich Naval College as expected and all their children are recorded at Alverstoke (Forton Marine Barracks) but no Frank. I'm beginning to doubt both his existence (apart from his 3 chn) and my links. Mother in law said Frank's parents worked there at Greenwich and she's named after their daughter Mabel who died young as found. But why no registered birth and census - he was a soldier in 1911 at first marriage and at his bigamous marriage in 1916 was a a canteen inspector at Purfleet Camp but lived in East Ham - not an insignificant journey each day. In the midst of war he's no longer a soldier but doing a job an older chap could do. M in law says they lived in these early days in Gibraltar but can't imagine how that fits in. Over the name which no doubt could both be contractions of say Francis Harrold - that's what is given on both M. Certs and his first born son is also Frank Harry whilst his son by the bigamous marriage is Trevor.

Any help appreciated even if it's consolation - I've been searching for 10 years and only in the last few days got proof of bigamous marriage etc but how and why no other record.

nb sibling births are as follows:
Frederick Harrold Dec qtr 1876 Forton Alverstoke, Hampshire
Edward George Sept qtr 1878 Forton Alverstoke, Hampshire
Henry Sidney June qtr 1880 Forton Alverstoke, Hampshire
Leonard Albert Dec 1883 Forton Alverstoke, Hampshire
then Frank Harry 1885 or 1887
Mabel Emma June 1889 Forton Alverstoke, Hampshire

Mabel dies in 1894 in Greenwich which again follows my trail - a red herring probably is that the mother Emma was born in Greenwich 1852

1881 census the above eldest 3 with dad recorded both at home 8 St John's Sq., Alverstoke & at HMS Asia in Portsmouth aged 26 & 27
1901 census at Royal Naval College where dad is a college porter
1916 wedding dad's described as dead but was a marine sergeant major (Naval Staff on 1911 & presumably living).

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 31 Dec 2007 16:55

Have you tried writing to the GRO giving them as much detail as you can with an approx birth date. They will search up to 3 years - so you could ask for the period you think might cover his birth.

If you give them his parents' names that would obviously help.

It takes a bit longer for a response - I think it's 15 days, but it might help.

Jill

Websterbfc

Websterbfc Report 31 Dec 2007 16:59

is it his birth you are looking for?? if so what year do you suspect from the age on his marriages? (sorry if that is in you post..but cant see it)

not sure if any use but have you tried these 2 websites which have BMD at sea info

http://www.findmypast.com/BmdAtSeaStartSearchServlet

http://www.theshipslist.com/Forms/BMD.htm

John

John Report 1 Jan 2008 08:28

Birth either 1885 or 1887 - in the middle of loads properly registered in Alverstoke, Hants

Thanks

John

John Report 2 Jan 2008 22:39

Elouise - not sure what you mean in the last beginning "Oops" as it looked promising. Have another track I'm exploring but yours looked even more interesting.
Anyone else got any ideas why a conformist family (reg births regularly and normally in Alverstoke) should overlook one of their own?
John

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 2 Jan 2008 22:53

Do you know if these were siblings?

Births Sep 1885
Mortimer Mary Winifred Alverstoke 2b 530

Deaths Jun 1886
Mortimer Mary Winifred 0 Alverstoke 2b 354

Births Jun 1887
Mortimer Fredalinn Kate Alverstoke 2b 579
Mortimer Selina Ruth Alverstoke 2b 579

Deaths Sep 1887
Mortimer Fredilina Kate 0 Alverstoke 2b 337
Mortimer Selina Ruth 0 Alverstoke 2b 337

Rose

John

John Report 3 Jan 2008 21:26

Saw these myself and didn't believe they were siblings but there's possibly another family of Mortimers there about the same time, however, apart from Frank Harry (the present target) there are no births registered for Frederick & Emma between 1883 & 9. If they are their chn then even at their rate of reproduction it doesn't leave much time for Frank Harry's birth.