Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scholar in 1847

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 31 Dec 2007 18:48

Can anyone explain this to me please? Where they sponsored by local people or the church or did the parents fund them? I am struggling to find any information on the net. Can anyone suggest a good website.

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 31 Dec 2007 18:52

If you look at the Whites directories for the area then you will often find out details about the local schooling, number of pupils are often quoted.

Genuki have extracts for many of the towns and googling for the directories often brings up small localised sites with extracts quoted.

An example given below gives details for a Norfolk village

The FREE SCHOOL, now conducted on the national system, in two departments for boys and girls, is attended by about 140 children, and was built by Richard Milles, Esq., the late lord of the manor, who vested it, in 1813, with a house for the master, a playground, and 13A. of the common, in trustees. At the enclosure, in 1831, it received an allotment of 2A. 2R. 15P., which, with the 13A., yields an annual income of about £20 per annum.

Glen

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 31 Dec 2007 18:55

Thanks Glen

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 31 Dec 2007 18:57

We might have crossposted, i just added an example to my post, an extract from the village my g g/m was born in.

It's from an 1854 directory.

Glen

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 31 Dec 2007 19:22

which is your post glen, can you link me at all?

Diane

Diane Report 1 Jan 2008 14:27

Jacqueline... Glen means he edited the post he put on here.