Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

James Arthur Brown

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila

Sheila Report 1 Jan 2008 08:35

My husbands dad was John James Brown (AKA Jack). born 1923.
His Father (listed on his marriage cert....but not on his birth cert) seems to have been James Arthur.
BUT his mother( Jane Oliver Fairless c1879- S.Shields) was married to Frederick Maugham Brown (c.1871 - Newcastle-Railway Clerk)) on 4 august 1900.
Was John James illigitimate? His birth was 23 years after the marraige of Jane and Frederick......
I need details of James Arthur Brown. DOB, Place of birth. DOD etc... he was listed as desceased on hubbys dads marraige cert.
Any help or advise appreciated.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Jan 2008 08:48

If no father was listed on his birth cert but then one was on his marriage, but deceased ,sounds very much that he was illegitimate. It often happened that a fathers name ,but deceased, was put on a marriage for propriety sake.

Cant see how you can double check as its too far away from any census .

Shirley

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Jan 2008 10:47

This doesn't help with your specific query, but it seems that his mother had at least one legitimate child...........

Name: Frederick Maughan Brown
Year of Registration: 1906
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Newcastle Upon Tyne
County: Northumberland, Tyne and Wear
Volume: 10b
Page: 156

Reg

Thelma

Thelma Report 1 Jan 2008 10:47

how sure are you that you have the right birth certificate?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Jan 2008 10:48

And another two...........

Cecil Brown 1913 Apr-May-Jun Fairless Newcastle Upon Tyne Northumberland, Tyne and Wear

Norman Brown 1911 Oct-Nov-Dec Fairless Newcastle Upon Tyne Northumberland, Tyne and Wear

Do you have any info about when Frederick died?

Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Jan 2008 10:49

This would be the son's death, I imagine.........

Name: Frederick Maughan Brown
Birth Date: 5 Jul 1906
Death Registration Month/Year: Aug 1997
Age at death (estimated): 91
Registration district: Rochdale
Inferred County: Lancashire
Register number: C49A
Entry Number: 178

Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Jan 2008 11:01

If the father was not named on the birth cert, I'm afraid that you have little or no chance of identifying him...........

It may well be that his forenames were as per the marriage cert, but finding out what his surname would have been doesn't seem possible.

Reg