Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Margaret Richardson 1880

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy

Wendy Report 2 Jan 2008 13:09

My sister and I have come up against a brick wall and would be grateful for any help we recieve.
Margaret Richardson (b,1880) gave birth to a daughter, Dorothy in Wellington (Shropshire) workhouse in 1908. This later became known as Wellington childrens home. There are no records as they were burnt in a fire. Margaret was working in Shrewsbury as a housekeeper. (1901 Census) On her daughters birth certificate Margaret gives her birthplace as Shrewsbury, but there is no record of her. Dorothy was adopted in 1921 from the home along with a baby girl called Joan by a lady called Emily Blount (widow, her husband died Xmas day 1915) and they lived in Wellington. My Nan Dorothy did not know anything about her mother, but she did remember a "a very posh lady in fine clothes and hat" who used to visit the house and bring gifts, but she was never allowed to talk to her. We cannot find where Margaret was born the only clue is that she put her birth year on Dorothys birth certificate as 1880 and that she was born in Shrewsbury, although there is no record of her being born there!
And that is all we have. Not much to go on I know but if there are any super slueths out there, please can you help us?
Thank you
Wendy and Erica

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 2 Jan 2008 13:14

Not sure what it is you are looking for?

Roy

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 2 Jan 2008 13:16

Birth
Name: Dorothy Richardson
Year of Registration: 1908
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
District: Wellington Sal
County: Shropshire
Volume: 6a
Page: 729

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 2 Jan 2008 13:19

Possible birth for Margaret

Name: Margaret Mary Richardson
Year of Registration: 1879
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Wolverhampton
County: Shropshire, Staffordshire, West Midlands
Volume: 6b
Page: 563

Roy

Diane

Diane Report 2 Jan 2008 13:42

<-- agreeing with Roy.. the birth he quotes is the only one in Shropshire in the time frame, and Wolverhampton is only 30 miles from Shrewsbury, so feasible that she is born between the 2, the birth being REGISTERED at Wolverhampton, but her claiming her birthplace as Shrewsbury.

Think this is your best bet.

No luck finding her on any census 1881/91 though :(