Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Doris Hirst

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Richard

Richard Report 3 Jan 2008 22:25

Hi there

I am trying to trace my Grandma's history and have little info to go on. Born on the 8th March 1921 (Huddersfield) father Elliott Hirst mother Emeline (surname unknown). She married Edward Williams in Huddersfield.

Details are very scarce I know but any lead will be more than welcome.

Thanks very much.

Richard

Thelma

Thelma Report 3 Jan 2008 22:35

mother's surname Oxley

Samantha

Samantha Report 3 Jan 2008 22:38

hi Richard, do you know if Doris had any siblings?

Samantha

Thelma

Thelma Report 3 Jan 2008 22:40

birth?
Emmalin Oxley 1892 Jan-Feb-Mar Huddersfield Yorkshire - West Riding, West Yorkshire

Thelma

Thelma Report 3 Jan 2008 22:41

birth
Norman Hirst 1918 Apr-May-Jun Oxley Huddersfield Yorkshire - West Riding, West Yorkshire

Samantha

Samantha Report 3 Jan 2008 22:46

Hi Richard

Mary the sister of Doris, was she older or younger, do you know?

Samantha

** Richard Pm'd me to say Doris had an older sister Mary.

Samantha

Samantha Report 3 Jan 2008 23:29

Richard I have checked births between 1912-1921 (when Doris was born) and have not seen any Mary's with the mother's name Oxley. I have not checked Rosemary's or any other name that can be shortened to Mary. Hopefully someone will be able to check more for you tonight. I have work tomorrow, but if your questions are not answered I will try and help tomorrow.

Samantha

Samantha

Samantha Report 4 Jan 2008 14:11

Hi Richard

I have chaecked all quarters from 1912-1923, with the mmn Oxley and have come up with these births. some may be relevant and others not.

Cyril - Penistone 1912 Q2
Bessie - Dewbury 1915 Q1
Norman - Huddersfield 1918 Q2
Doris - Huddersfield 1921 Q2
Mary - Huddersfield 1923 Q4

looks like we have found Doris' sister Mary

Do you know why their parents got married in 1911 but didn't have children until much later?

Samantha

Susan

Susan Report 8 Jan 2008 22:50

I have a Joseph Hirst born 1855c daughter Ethel Hirst born 1878c as far a I know they were born in Huddersfield