Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth of Elizabeth Durant in BOW Middx abt 1835

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brian

Brian Report 4 Jan 2008 15:28

Hi.
Is there anyone who would know, or can advise me on how I can find the birth date and any other details (father mother etc) for the above lady who is my gt. Grandmother.
I have looked in all of the records that I have access to on the internet (Ancestry, IGI etc) but without any luck.
I have her marriage cert (15 Oct 1855) to James Hodges which shows her father as Charles Durant a brewer (deceased) all of the subsequent census records that I have traced show her place of birth as Bow, Middlesex. in about 1835. ???
I would be extreemly grateful if someone has any ideas on how I can get back further.

Many thanks
Brian

Janice

Janice Report 4 Jan 2008 15:29

What age is she on the marriage cert?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jan 2008 15:32

Does she appear on 1841/1851 censuses ?

Reg

Janice

Janice Report 4 Jan 2008 15:39

Reg,
I can't find her on any census!!
Janice

Brian

Brian Report 4 Jan 2008 15:46

On Her marriage cert it shows Elizabeth DURANT full age spinster. residence at time of marriage Lambeth. father Charles DURANT decd. Occupation Brewer.

I have been unable to find her on any census prior to 1871.
Her husband James HODGES die in 1869 and she married again, taking her 6 children from her 1st marriage into her 2nd marriage to Charles FOOTE. I can then find them all on all of the subsequant census returns at an address in Linford Street Battersea.

Regards
Brian

Brian

Brian Report 4 Jan 2008 16:03

Sophie
Thanks for this I will take a look at it on the census. Some of the childrens names agree. I will post my findings later.
Brian

Brian

Brian Report 4 Jan 2008 16:16

I have had a look at the original of the 1861 census report (on Ancestry) and unfortunately it does not tie in.
Elizabeth children are as follows:-
Elizabeth b 1855, Eliza b 1858, Ellen b 1859/60, Amelia b 1863, Louisa b 1865 and Mary b. 29 Sept 1869 (I have berth cert for Mary and it shows mother as Elizabeth HODGES formerly DURANT They lived at this time at 12 Oxford Street Battersea.

Regards
Brian

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jan 2008 16:55

Posting 1871..so we have childrens' birthplaces etc

Name: Elizabeth Hodges
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1855
Relation: Daughter-in-law
Where born: Clapham, Surrey, England

Civil Parish: Battersea
Ecclesiastical parish: St George
County/Island: Surrey