Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help Please!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 5 Jan 2008 21:22

I would like help on my mother's family tree. I am starting from scratch. My mother was adopted. All we know is that she was born in Scotland. All we know is that her father's name was David Drummond born in Fife and her mother was Jane Fulton born in Lothian, they were both married in Lothian. We think he died before 1972. They owned a farm in Lothain. Could you please help and tell me my next step.

Many thanks,

Angela

Lynne

Lynne Report 5 Jan 2008 21:33

Have you looked for a marriage in the BMI index? if you sent for the certificate it would give you their ages adresses and fathers name, that would give you some info to go on and you could then try electoral registers, usually you can find them at local record offices
Lynne

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Jan 2008 21:35

Scottish bmd records are on line only on Scotlands people, and there are strict time limitations on the info available, for all other info you have to contact the SGRO in Edinburgh

Reg

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 5 Jan 2008 21:40

I assume that you have your Mum's original birth cert & from what you've said, her parents were married.
As this is Scotland, you can only view marriages 1855-1932 online see this website

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

If her parents married after 1932 look out for someone going to the Records Office in Edinburgh (thread will normally be posted on this board) & ask them if they will look the marriage up for you.

There may be a way of get a marriage cert by post but I don't know how.

Angela

Angela Report 5 Jan 2008 21:44

Thank you all very much for your help. I will try all. Thanks again. Angela x

Katwin

Katwin Report 5 Jan 2008 21:45

Hi Angela,

As Reggie said, the Scotlandspeople site hold records of birth 1855 to 1907; marriages 1855 to 1932 and deaths 1855 to 1957. You have to pay I think it is £6 for 30 credits.

Otherwise you could try the following site for Scottish lookups and assistance from their members:

http://scotfamtree.11.forumer.com/

Regards,
Kathy