Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Dell/Ellen Carr 1846

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

The Lady Marion

The Lady Marion Report 7 Jan 2008 07:02

BVRI
I wonder if anyone can possibly help? My Great Great Grandmother Ellen Selina Carr married her first husband Thomas Dell in 1846 Headington. Is there any way through the BVRI Discs that could confirm if the above had any children born to them? Ellens Fathers name was Richard Carr and Thomas Dells Fathers name was Samuel Dell. The Dells were from Berkshire and Coach Makers. I do have them on the Census
Regards Marion

Happy New Year To You All

Joan

Joan Report 7 Jan 2008 10:10

Is this your family in 1861?

1861 England Census
about Thomas Dell
Name: Thomas Dell
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1837
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Ellen
Where born: Northend, Buckinghamshire, England

Civil Parish: West Bromwich
Ecclesiastical parish: Christchurch
County/Island: Staffordshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage: View Image

Registration district: West Bromwich
Sub-registration district: West Bromwich South West
ED, institution, or vessel: 17
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 120
Household Members: Name Age
Daniel Dell 3
Ellen Dell 20
John Dell 1
Thomas Dell 24

Joan

Joan Report 7 Jan 2008 10:15

This may be the correct family in 1851--not 1861.

1851 England Census
about Thomas Dell
Name: Thomas Dell
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1819
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Ellen
Where born: Reading, Berkshire, England

Civil Parish: Reading St Lawrence
County/Island: Berkshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability: View Image

Registration district: Reading
Sub-registration district: St Mary
ED, institution, or vessel: 1c
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 4
Household Members: Name Age
Ellen Dell 22
Thomas Dell 32 coach builder
Harriett Eckett 35 visitor, gardiner
John Eckett 27 , visitor, gardiner's wife
Elizabeth Sutker 56 , visitor, dentist wife

Joan

Joan Report 7 Jan 2008 10:19

Here's the marriage of Thomas and Ellen

Marriages Mar 1846 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CARR Ellen Selina Headington 16 89
Dell Thomas Headington 16 89

Joan

Joan Report 7 Jan 2008 10:24

Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deaths Dec 1851 (>99%)

Dell Thomas Reading 6 165

Deaths Mar 1856 (59%)

DELL Thomas Reading 2c ___

Joan

Joan Report 7 Jan 2008 10:25

Marion,

You said that Thomas Dell was the first husband. Who and when did she marry again? I could not locate her on the 1861 census.

Joan

The Lady Marion

The Lady Marion Report 7 Jan 2008 18:54

Yes thanks everyone I do have all of the above but its children born to them that I search for. Joan noone can find Ellen in 1861. Over the years a good many have tried but with no success. In 1865 Ellen married Robert McClelland in Greenwich. Funny thing is that Ellen is stated as being a Spinster. On the Census Thomas Dell Lodger profession Coach Maker states he is a Widower. Both untrue. I am searching for births around the 1860/61 time frame for
Ellen and Thomas.

Thanks Regards Marion In OZ

The Lady Marion

The Lady Marion Report 7 Jan 2008 19:19

Joan I forgot to add that the death for 1851 maynot be the same Thomas Dell? On the Census for 1861 he is down as Lodger/Widower. I thought now these BVRI Discs were out that perhaps I could find out if any children were born to them? My Great Grandmother shown in the 1871 Census Caroline Elizabeth McClelland could very well be the child of Ellen and Thomas? Ellen married Robert McClelland in 1865 Greenwich. I have found most of the Birth Refs and as well have the Birth Certs for the McClelland babies dating back from 1852 but my Great Grandmother is the only birth noone can find. Robert McClelland made darn sure he registered all the births so this is a mystery why my Great Grandmother cannot be found. Robert McClelland married Harriett Ackley in 1852 Greenwich. What a saga with this one. I do value your help with this

Marionx