Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A strange one!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Iwan

Iwan Report 8 Jan 2008 11:35

I have 1901 census record for Isaac Woodall (aged 62) residing in Northumberland with wife Lena (aged 56) and daughter Annie (aged 4). I strongly believe that the census record has the names and ages mixed up (Annie (nee lambert) was actually the wife aged 62 (married 1915), Isaac was 56 and Lena is aged 4). The question is, are mistakes like these common?

Also if you look for a birth record for Lena Woodall, you will find only two (England and Wales census). One in 1887, born W.Derby. Looking good so far, however, there is a subsequent death record for Lena Woodall in 1888. Could it be that Lena was born under a different surname to that listed on the census? or possibly born in Ireland (could be a possibility as there was family there at the time?) Its the only explanation i can find. Any thoughts?

Iwan

Deb needs a change

Deb needs a change Report 8 Jan 2008 11:42

I'd be strongly questioning if this couple are Lena's parents. Could Annie have given birth in her 50's????

Lena may well be a grandchild and possibly born under a different surname.....................just a thought.

Deb:)

Jane Gateshead Girl

Jane Gateshead Girl Report 8 Jan 2008 11:43

Just for reference this is the 1901 census:

1901 England Census
about Isaac Woodall
Name: Isaac Woodall
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1839
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Lena
Where born: Holyhead, Anglesey, Wales

Civil Parish: Benwell
Ecclesiastical parish: St James
County/Island: Northumberland

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Newcastle upon Tyne
Sub-registration district: Westgate
ED, institution, or vessel: 71
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 34
Household Members: Name Age
Annie Woodall 4 - born Ireland
Isaac Woodall 62
Lena Woodall 56 - born Ireland

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 4777; Folio: 95; Page: 7.

Hi Iwan

i have had a look at the census - Lena would have been 52 when she had her - a bit old but possible I suppose. It does have Annie's birth place as Ireland - may be some kind person can search Irish births for you.
Good luck with your search
Jane

Nicki

Nicki Report 8 Jan 2008 11:45

Also a possibility that she is Helena, Lena for short?

Nicki

Iwan

Iwan Report 8 Jan 2008 11:57

Ah, i know that Annie was definately born in Cork in 1839 (maiden name Annie Jane Gunn). If Lena is down as being born in Ireland then she was possibly born illegitemately and may have been registered in Ireland as Lena Lambert or Woodall.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 8 Jan 2008 12:25

I've come across a few odd errors in ages on census returns. I put it down to maybe one of the older children giving the information verbally to the enumerator and not being too sure of the age of the parents!

Jill