Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DEATH - GRO index no CANNOT FIND - can you hel

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

dizzyjo

dizzyjo Report 8 Jan 2008 16:15

I have a Doris Marjorie Edwards who was born 21 Jan 1905 in Hastings, Sussex. She married a Hickman.

I am therefore looking for Doris Marjorie Hickman's death.
I thought she died 26 April 1976 in Hastings, Sussex, but I cannot find her GRO index no.

I am just trying to check out family info, that they gave me, so possibly they have the wrong year. I have looked through the obvious ones and cannot find her death

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks
Jo

John

John Report 8 Jan 2008 16:23

Doris Marjorie Hickman dob 21/1/1905
death reg 1st Quarter 1976 Hastings vol 18 page 1253

dizzyjo

dizzyjo Report 8 Jan 2008 16:30

John

Thank you for that.
I had been told she died 26 April so obviously looked in the June and Sept Qtrs and different years, but didn't look in the March Quarter. Silly me

Thank you very much for your help
Regards
Jo

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 8 Jan 2008 17:10

Jo,

Just for future reference, deaths have to registered within five days, so, unlike births which have 42 to days in which to be registered, there is no point in looking at the following quarter unless the death occured in the last three of four days of the quarter.

Regards,
Jennifer

dizzyjo

dizzyjo Report 8 Jan 2008 20:19

Jennifer

Didn't realise deaths had to be registered within 5 days - thank you for that. Besides, I have been given a duff birth date, so you always have to check these things out.
Thank you very much for replying to my Q

Regards
Jo