Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

marriage records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan

Jan Report 9 Jan 2008 13:37

If a person marries someone but later finds out they are a bigamist, do the marriage records get wiped completely?

Jan

Jan Report 9 Jan 2008 13:59

so far all I have to go on is family tales.
I have a name for both parties, even down to the fact one of them is a canadian but nothing has shown on the searches for either a marriage or any court procedings.

you know how it is with family stories lol

Nicki

Nicki Report 9 Jan 2008 14:00

Where a marriage is known to have been bigamous it's actually not marked as such in the register, and certificates can be issued, just as if the marriage was perfectly legal. But remarriage after a spouse had been absent for seven years wasn't classed as bigamy.

Nicki

Jan

Jan Report 9 Jan 2008 14:10

thanks, I'll ask them next time I'm in there.

If the stories are true its possible he may have moved back to Canada to escapee procedings or it may just have been my aunts wishful thinking that she did actually marry !!

Jan

Jan Report 9 Jan 2008 14:16

no,I've not been able to find anything
all I have to go on is the tale handed down to my mum, who swears blind its true!!

But the fact the aunt involved was in and out of institutions for most of her life, well..........lol

Jan

Jan Report 9 Jan 2008 14:24

I have her certificate, it states spinster but it was my mum registering it.

From her medical records the only time she could have got married was from 1912 to 1917, that was the only time she was out of an institution

Jan

Jan Report 9 Jan 2008 14:33

lol tell me about it

The only marriage record I can find is for possibly him in 1915 but it isnt my aunts name lol

Just trying to tidy up loose ends really, so I know not to waste any more time on this part lol
Thanks for the advice though