Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Name origin

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marmite

Marmite Report 24 Nov 2007 23:20

Do you know where this funny name comes from? Thay all came from the Cornwall area back in the 1800 and maybe back further.

MaryMc

MaryMc Report 25 Nov 2007 03:21

Justin,
You need to tell us the name!

Marmite

Marmite Report 25 Nov 2007 09:52

THe name Is TRIPP

I thought is showed on the heading of the thread..:-( sorry!

TRIPP they lived in Cronwall Englsnd if that helps at all. I think the name may be a varient on a profession? I may be wrong?

MaryMc

MaryMc Report 25 Nov 2007 21:22

I Googled and found this:

1. English (mainly southern): metonymic occupational name for a dancer, or a nickname for someone with an odd gait, from Middle English trip(p)(en) ‘to step lightly, skip, or hop’ (Old French triper).

2. English: metonymic occupational name for a butcher or tripe dresser, from Middle English, Old French trip(p)e ‘tripe’ (of unknown origin).

3. German: metonymic occupational name for a maker of wooden pattens (trippe), a type of raised sole that could be strapped to normal footwear for walking in unpaved muddy streets.

MaryMc

MaryMc Report 25 Nov 2007 21:28

And this:

Spelling variations of this family name include: Tripp, Trippe, Trip, Trypp, Tryppe, Trype, Tripe and many more.

First found in Kent where they were seated from very ancient times, before the Norman Conquest in 1066.