Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cannot find birth record!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire

Claire Report 22 Dec 2007 11:18

Hi all,

I have been struggling for a while on a relative of mine, William Turbutt. I have posted topics on him on here before and some very kind people helped me find a record of him in one of the censuses.

However, I just cannot get past this information, this record is the only census in which he appears and I cannot find his birth or death certificates. I was wondering whether anyone would be willing to help me in this search.

William Turbutt was born in Surrey, England c1843. He appears in the 1881 census as William Turbott, a transcription error, as a baker, married to Caroline, with five children. I can find only one William Turbutt in the other census records, but he was born in Worcester and does not appear to be the same man at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Claire

Dea

Dea Report 22 Dec 2007 11:40

He is certainly on 1871 at Half Moon Passage in London:

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 422; Folio: 34; Page: 6; GSU roll: 824632.

Name transcribed at William TurBETT.

Bit busy just now but will try to find him on other census later.

Dea x

P.S. - make sure you look on nest page also as it shows his 'mother-in-law' which will confirm the maiden name of his wife Caroline if you don't already have this.

Dea x

Andrew

Andrew Report 22 Dec 2007 11:45

Possible for 1871?

1871 England Census
about William Turbett
Name: William Turbett
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1845
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Caroline
Where born: Clerkenwell

Civil Parish: St Bartholomew The Great
Ecclesiastical parish: St Bartholomew the Great
County/Island: London

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability: View Image

Registration district: London City
Sub-registration district: St Sepulchre
ED, institution, or vessel: 5
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 53
Household Members: Name Age
Ann Beaman 20
James Judge 38
Sarah Paddock 74
Caroline Turbett 25
Elizabeth Turbett 2 months
Sarah Turbett 5
William Turbett 26
William Turbett 3

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 422; Folio: 34; Page: 6; GSU roll: 824632.

Andy

Dea

Dea Report 22 Dec 2007 12:03

Marriage:

Elizabeth Caroline Paddock
William Thomas Turbutt
Sept Q 1864 - Ref Shoreditch 1c 346.

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 22 Dec 2007 12:18

1891 - you will find him here:

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 230; Folio 187; Page 20; GSU roll: 6095340.

Transcribed W Z TURBOT

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 22 Dec 2007 12:26

Caroline is a widdow on 1901 - the following is a probable death for your William Thomas:

Deaths Jun 1899

Turbutt William Thomas 55 Islington 1b 165

Dea x

Claire

Claire Report 22 Dec 2007 12:44

Hi all,

Thanks to all for your help, these are really great, thought I was going to have to give up on the Turbutt side for now, but you've spurred me on once again!

Are these sources all from genesreunited? I must not have been looking properly!!

Claire

Dea

Dea Report 22 Dec 2007 12:48

They are on Ancestry site

Dea x

Claire

Claire Report 22 Dec 2007 13:32

Thanks Dea,

I will continue to search for his birth record, I cannot figure out how why he isn't appearing on any of the searches!

Thanks everyone for your help,
Claire

Ethel

Ethel Report 22 Dec 2007 14:05

Hi Claire.
If you get a copy of the marriage certificate 1864 July/Sept. Qtr. reg in Shoreditch for William to Elizabeth Caroline Paddock it will give you their ages, their Father's names and occupations and witnesses who may be siblings.

Hope this helps. Happy Christmas.Ethel.

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 22 Dec 2007 14:39

Claire, it is possible his birth was not registered, registration was not made compulsory until 1875, although registration began in 1837.

Dea

Dea Report 23 Dec 2007 08:18

Hi,

I don't know my geography too well but would an Oxford registered birth be close enough?

I have this one - the page actually says TURBITT but it is the only one I can find which is possible:

Sep Q 1843 Oxford 16 93

Dea x