Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for descendants of Vice Admiral John Ross

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Martin

Martin Report 10 Aug 2008 09:22

My mother in law who is 90 years old remembers her mother bering a cleaner for the wife of John Ross Ward in Shepherds Bush.

John Ward was the inventor of the cork lifebelt and a vice admiral in the navy.

We are looking for descendants, as my mother in law has several family items which she has inherited from her mother, but would like to return to the Ward family.

Can anyone help us?

Martin Hickey

Andrew

Andrew Report 5 Mar 2017 21:06

Dear Martin

How thoughtful your mother-in-law was. I have only just come across your post, but feel I should reply however little hope I feel that it is not too late. I am a direct descendant: my maternal grandfather was a John Ward, who was injured in the chest during the Grest War, leading later to his death when I was a young child. His widow, my grandmother, was very proud of the connection to John Ross Ward, and told me that besides the cork life jacket, he introduced the lifelines you see around the side of life boats, to save the lives of those who would otherwise be unable to cling to the side of the boats. I have been unable to verify this is correct.

It would be wonderful to hear from you, but a wild hope, I fear. I have only signed up for a free trial with genesreunited for a fortnight. If I do hear from you, I may feel I owe it to them pay for a subscription!

Kind regards
Andrew Clarke

malyon

malyon Report 5 Mar 2017 21:27

andrew as its a old post martin may not see your posting try sending a pm by clicking on his name

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 6 Mar 2017 09:34

PM sent to Andrew with advise on how to contact Martin.