Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

marriage info

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 20 Dec 2007 17:30

could any one help me to find information on the marriage of my paternal grandmother.My fathers birth certificate shows that she was formerly called Williams first name Mary Ann.I know that she was married to a Mr Whittle and lived in blackburn at the time of his birth,but also married at some point a Cromwell Perry,the story goes that she was a bigamist....if anyone could give me any pointers I would be grateful I have been trying to find this lady for the past two years without luck,without knowing her husbands first name I cant really find a certificate...can I??

Pete

Pete Report 20 Dec 2007 17:42

It would really help if you could give some indication of approximate dates. You know when your father was born, so that's a good starting point.

Pete

Pete

Pete Report 20 Dec 2007 17:45

Was Mr Whittle's first name Isaac?

if so there is an interesting marriage in 1909 on the Lancs BMD website:

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1909
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference

WHITTLE Isaac WILLIAMS Mary Ann Blackburn Register Office or Registrar Attended Blackburn RM/178/50

Pete

Pete Report 20 Dec 2007 17:49

There is also a marriage on FreeBMd for Cromwell PERRY to Mary WHITTLE

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Sep 1925 (88%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cullinane Patrick Dean Devonport 5b 772
Dean Olive Cullinane Devonport 5b 772
>>Perry Cromwell Whittle Devonport 5b 772
>>Whittle Mary Perry Devonport 5b 772

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 20 Dec 2007 23:26

thanks everyone for the info I have put a response on the tips board...not sure which is the best one to use.
I have also found a few Williams/Whittle marriages but without knowing where she came from or birth date I dont know how I could establish which one is her.My father was born in 1st Nov 1918 51,Radford Street Darwen blackburn...if that helps.I heard there were siblings but know nothing of them

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 Dec 2007 23:38

For future ref -- the best board to use is ONE board. It is completely unfair to have multiple groups of people doing the same work on the same question. And the later it gets every day the more peeved I get when it happens. Just lucky I wasn't one of 'em this time.