Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Wilkins of Bermondsey, London

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 20 Dec 2007 14:04

I am trying to find any relatives of Alma Maria Wilkins c1874 born to Henry George Wilkins c1850 and Maria Mary Wilkins nee Young c 1852, all born in Bermondsey area of London. Henry George's father William Wilkins born c1811/1812 in Stratford, Essex and Ann Wilkins nee Cross c1816 born in Whitechapel, Middlesex, on Census from 1841-1871. 1871 William and Ann lived at 110 Long Walk, Bermondsey, William a Tanner by trade. Any help you can give much appreciated.

Christine

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 Dec 2007 15:23

Have you identified a marriage for Alma?

Searching at

http://www.freebmd.org.uk

For a marriage of an Alma Wilkins 1890-1901, we find two -- one in St Saviour district and one in Truro. St Saviour seems most likely:

Marriages Dec 1894
Baker John Alexander St. Saviour 1d 217
Bugridge Emily Elizabeth St. Saviour 1d 217
Fry Arthur St. Saviour 1d 217
Wilkins Alma St. Saviour 1d 217

Two possible surnames: Baker and Fry. Searching in the 1901 census for Alma Baker or Alma Fry born c1874 in Bermondsey, we find:

Name: Alma Baker
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1875
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: John
Where born: Bermondsey, London, England

Civil Parish: Bermondsey
Ecclesiastical parish: St Anne Bermondsey
County/Island: London

Registration district: St Olave Southwark
Sub-registration district: Bermondsey
ED, institution, or vessel: 49
Household schedule number: 121

Alma Baker 26
Harry Baker 3
John Baker 29
John Baker 1
William Baker 5

So there are three children of what seems to be your Alma.

All of which may be known to you already ...

If you do know that, is it descendants of siblings of Alma's parents, for instance, that you would like to find? Do you know whether they had siblings (which could be determined from censuses), or know who they were?

Christine

Christine Report 9 Jan 2008 12:26

Hi Kathryn

Many thanks for your reply. I did not make myself very clear did I!! I did know that Alma married John Alexander Baker and they had 4 children, william, Harry, John and my nan Rose Alma c1914. Rose was the black sheep of the family - she had my mother Lilian in 1936 (illegitimate).

I have no knowledge of the family other than what I have gleaned from sites like this and the Census of 1901 - so any news of possible cousins would be great!

Thanks

Christine