Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find the marriage record of Henry T

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 23 Dec 2007 23:02

I am finding it very hard to trace the marriage of Amy Fletcher (born Sept 1895 ) to Henry T Willats (born April 1878).Daughter born Aug 1924...Son born Nov 1925. Amy was previously married 1916 but believe her husband died ( Francis Hussey ) they also had a son Francis... Am desperate for help!

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 23 Dec 2007 23:13

Hi Jan

North London, Islington or edmonton areas i believe.

Dorothy.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 24 Dec 2007 00:42

Here's the Fletcher-Hussey marriage -- it was a little hard to find because of the problem with his surname on her record:

Marriages Mar 1916
Fletcher Amy _ussey Islington 1b 699
Hussey Francis J Fletche Islington 1b 699

The things are in alphabetical order; what else would it be but an H?? And oh look, her surname is mistranscribed on his record too ... better get over to FreeBMD, check the images, and fix 'em!

So, Francis died after 1916. But the record isn't yet transcribed, so maybe we can assume it was later rather than earlier.

The only Amy Hussey marriages as yet transcribed are:

Marriages Sep 1919
Hussey Amy A - Henderson - Southwark 1d 118
Hussey Amy K - Merifield - Guildford 2a 341

(Jan -- did you mean you searched, like at FreeBMD, or actually read 10 years worth of pages??)

So you may have to scrounge through the untranscribed index pages, or wait, hopefully not too long, for the transcription to catch up.

On the other hand, do you think it's possible that Francis didn't die, and Amy and William didn't actually marry?

For births, two quarters of 1924 seem to be transcribed, but not the Jul-Sep quarter, and none of 1925 is yet.

I checked the index for 1924 though, and Irene Willats, mother's birth surname Fletcher, was registered in Edmonton that year. It does suggest they were married. You'll just have to wait a bit, or squint at a bunch of downloaded pages, to find out when!

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 24 Dec 2007 19:18

HI Jan
Thankyou very much for trying for me..

Much appreciated

Dorothy.

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 24 Dec 2007 22:35

Hi Kathryn
Hi
Thankyou for the Hussey-Fletcher marriage record. I can now possibly get the name of her father. I was hoping to get the marriage cert of Henry Willats to see if his fathers name matches up with a birth cert that i sent for,but it seems too difficult to trace.I was told the only way to trace his family was through a marriage cert... Hope you can still help me.
Have a nice Christmas... Dorothy.

Steph

Steph Report 24 Dec 2007 23:27

Hi Dorothy,
Have found your elusive marriage

Dec Qtr 1933
Henry T Willats to Amy Fletcher or Hussey
Edmonton, vol 3a page 1953.

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 26 Dec 2007 14:38

Hi Steph...
This is the breakthrough i have been waiting for...
You are an Angel.

Thankyou so much...
Kind Regards
Dorothy.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 26 Dec 2007 19:45

Well done Steph -- just one note: for children born in the Willats marriage, Amy's surname would be shown as Fletcher, since it's the mother's birth surname that is recorded, or at least is supposed to be recorded, rather than her previous married surname. Worth keeping an eye out for Willats-Hussey births nonetheless, probably.

Of course, since Willats and Fletcher/Hussey didn't marry until 1933, 9 years after the birth of their daughter in 1924 ... hmm. Hopefully, all births were registered as Willats!