Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Martin

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lydia

Lydia Report 2 Jan 2008 12:53

I am trying to find the family of my dads father, Bertie William Martin. His brother was William Henry Martin and he was killed onboard the HMS Kelly in Crete on 23.5.1941.
William and Berties parents were Sarah and Charles John Martin from Edmonton London. Bertie had a sister called May and one called Alice I think.
I would appreciate any help.

kindest regards
Lydia

Lydia

Lydia Report 2 Jan 2008 21:25

Hi Lynne,

The 1901 census information you showed could well be my dad's grandad. I spent ages last night going through the 1901 census and couldn't find anything. Thank you, you did well. I must be searching wrong or something.

Bertie William Martin was born 4.9.1910 in Edmonton (I have a copy of his marriage cert and also a photo of his gravestone with the birth and death dates on it).

We think that William Henry Martin was about 47 when he was killed in Crete. There are details on the commonwealth war graves site which mention a William Henry Martin.

Name: MARTIN, WILLIAM HENRY
Initials: W H
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Navy
Unit Text: H.M.S. Kelly
Date of Death: 23/05/1941
Service No: C/SS 124458
Additional information: Son of Charles and Sarah Martin; husband of Eva Martin, of Edmonton, London.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: 47, 3.
Memorial: CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL

There is a marriage record on BMD that shows a Charles John Martin and Sarah Ann Perkins who married in 1893 in St Olave. I am hoping that is them but I have no proof.

The only names my dad can remember about his fathers (Bertie W Martin) siblings are one named Fred (or Frederick), a Charles who worked at Watney Brewery's on the dray horses and he died in WW2 (we think), one called Ted (possibly Albert but people called him Tiger), one named George who married a lady by the first name of Minn or Mint, one named Jack or Jacko who was younger than Bertie.

Bertie also had two younger sisters called May who married a Jack Bell and went to live in Australia and an Alice whose married name is Seymour.

Bertie married Nellie Giddings in 1932 and it says on his marriage cert that his father, Charles John Martin, was deceased. I am not sure when or how he died.

My dad did say that Bertie was a gasfitter/furnaceman and that Charles John Martin's occupation was a Cooper.

I would truly appreciate any help anyone can give.

kindest regards
Lydia

Victoria

Victoria Report 2 Jan 2008 22:31

Lydia

I think the info that Lynne found for you is the correct family as Charles Henry would have been born in 1894 ish from the info you have got about his death. I would strongly recommend that you follow this lead. Parents names are correct and your first port of call would be to get the birth certificate for your grandfather this will definitely give you your ggrandparents details.

This is the info you will need to order the certificate from www.gro.gov.uk. When it asks if GRO ref know click yes and put in following info when prompted.

Good Luck

Jane

Lydia

Lydia Report 3 Jan 2008 10:44

Hi Jane123,

Thank you for your help.

I have just ordered a copy of my grandads birth cert so hopefully that will give me some details concerning his parents and from there I may be able to locate the rest of his siblings.

My dad will be so pleased.

I was making a family tree album for him for christmas but I couldn't add in his dad's side of the family as I didn't have much information.

I live in New Zealand so the birth cert should take about 3 weeks (fingers crossed).
Being so far away doesn't make it easy for me in my search without people like you and Lynne helping me.

I thank you both so very much.

Do you have any idea on how I may search for siblings of William Henry Martin? We know so far that his parents were Charles John Martin and Sarah.
Also that William Henry was married to Eva.

kindest regards
Lydia