Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Perry Romany Travellers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vicki

Vicki Report 29 Dec 2007 22:03

Any one out there with a connection for william perry?
in 1851 census says born in Bagley ,Leicester , ----Then 1861 census says came from Nottingham.
All i know is that william married a mary ann smith somewhere round abt 1848ish.supposed to have travelled with fairs.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 29 Dec 2007 22:59

Well, with what you do know (it's a good idea to tell how you know it, btw), you go to

http://www.freebmd.org.uk

and search for marriages:

surname: Perry
given name: William
spouse's surname: Smith

I did 1843 to 1853, to cover most likely eventualities.

In most cases, the results show a William Perry and another man named Smith on the same page -- that search won't tell you who married whom, before 1911, only who is on the same page.

Might her name actually have been Ann Maria? There's a William Perry + Ann Maria Smith marriage in Wolverhampton, but that's the closest thing. Is the information you have about the marriage reliable?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 29 Dec 2007 23:04

In my experience, "Nottingham" is sometimes stated as place of birth by people born in nearby bits of Leicestershire.

... Ancestry has just decided to crap out on me, so I can't search for what you have. I'll just point out that it would help if you'd mention where he was living in 1851 and 1861, and the date of birth stated, so one doesn't have to go searching for it all ...

Once Ancestry recovers from its snit, we can take a look.