Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

william richard williams u.s.a.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Graham Dudley

Graham Dudley Report 21 Jun 2010 05:06

Hi! I am looking for william richard williams b.lockport will county illnois u.s.a.,1838 ,admitted to the bar of lawrence county,captain with washingtons army,appointed consul to para brizil in 1862 arrived para jan 1862 ,married miss potter,daughter of william potter of para 15th july 1862 died of yellow fever sept.1862,found letter from the bar of lawrence county held in ironton 1dec 1862 headed sacred to the memory of william richard williams to all his relatives in pentyrch wales,this was found in my wife,s(williams ) family bible regards graham chambers N.Z.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 21 Jun 2010 05:24

What is it you're looking for? His birth?

What is "para"? Someone's shorthand for Paraguay?

Do you have some info about who these relatives in Pentyrch, Wales, are? No idea of what William Richard Williams's connection to them is?

Ironton is in Lawrence County, Ohio, which may help with searching for him.

... And here he is in the 1860 US census; I don't pay for access, so this is all I see:

Wm R Williams
city, Lawrence, Ohio
age 22
born abt 1838

Someone with US access will be able to give more details.

Oops, Ancestry does let me see on hover-over view!

Post Office Ironton
Household:
William Williams 54
Catherine Williams 54
Wm R Williams 22
James H Williams 21
Talisen E Williams 17
Catherine G Williams 15
Mary Ann Williams 12

You still need full details to see where the parents were born, e.g.

Graham Dudley

Graham Dudley Report 21 Jun 2010 22:10

Hi! Janey,thanks for that, Para is in Brazil, I am hoping william williams b.1806, william richard,s father could be thomas williams b.1802 of Pentyrch brother,if not I may have to go back even further, regards Graham Chambers N.Z.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 21 Jun 2010 22:35

well that's interesting - Pentyrch is abut five miles from where I live - I was Williams before I married!! useless information I know, just thought I'd mention it!!!

By the way, Pentyrch is about 6 miles North of Cardiff in South Wales [County of South Glamorgan]

Ann

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 21 Jun 2010 22:36

Unfortunately the IGI batch number for Pentyrch, C024671, covers only 1823-1874. Williams in Wales -- good luck to you!

I hope someone comes along who will see what that 1860 census says for the birthplaces of the people in the household.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 21 Jun 2010 22:58

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/Pentyrch/Chapels.html

GENUKI: Pentyrch - chapels database
6 Feb 2009 ... Jones, I.G. & Williams, D. The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. ...

www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/Pentyrch/Chapels.h... - 17k - Similar pages

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 21 Jun 2010 23:03

The birth of Morganstown
By the end of the 18th Century, the Plymouth Estate owned most of Radyr, which was little more than a few farms. The Iron Works in Pentyrch had been operating since the 16th Century, but was now expanding rapidly. New housing was needed for the workers.

In the late 1830's the site of an ancient farm called Ty'n y Berllan was used for building 10 cottages, which were completed by 1841. This village assumed the name of the farm initially; it was then called Pentre, Pentrepoeth, Treforgan and finally Morganstown. The only explanation for the name Morganstown is that Ty'n y Berllan farm was owned by a Morgan Williams, who leased his land for the early development of the district.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 21 Jun 2010 23:05

I can't read a thing on the image. Sorry.
Name: Wm R Williams
Age in 1860: 22
Birth Year: abt 1838
Birthplace: Illinois
Home in 1860: Ironton, Lawrence, Ohio
Post Office: Ironton
Household Members:
Name Age
William Williams 54 born Wales
Catherine Williams 54 born Wales
Wm R Williams 22
James H Williams 21
Talisen G Williams 17
Catherine E Williams 15
Mary Ann Williams 12
Source Citation: Year: 1860; Census Place: Ironton, Lawrence, Ohio; Roll M653_997; Page: 180; Image: 364; Family History Library Film: 803997

Maureen

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 21 Jun 2010 23:07

See, I can summon 'em up as if by magic. Ta, Maureen -- the Wales bit is confirmation.

Not that there wouldn't have been several brazillion Williams-s from Wales in the US at the time ...

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 21 Jun 2010 23:15

Y'know, it's a huge long shot, but:

Marriages Dec 1837
? DAVIES Catherine Cardiff 26 502
EVANS Anne Cardiff 26 502
EVANS David Cardiff 26 502
John Harriet Cardiff 26 502
? WILLIAMS William Cardiff 26 502

(Seems to be a spare bride on the page)

You never know. They might have married and left for North America right away. The name of that WW's wife and, if Catherine, his father's name would be interesting to know.

That's the only possible William Williams + Catherine marriage in Cardiff reg dist from start of registration (Q3 1837) to 1840. Of course, bieng born c1806, odds are they married earlier.

Graham Dudley

Graham Dudley Report 21 Jun 2010 23:43

Hi! ann of green gables, Maureen in new york and janey, fantastic networking I thank you all for your time given Kind regards Graham Chambers N.Z.

Graham

Graham Report 24 Jan 2017 02:18

Hi JennyCanuck it's a long time but I have just been reading over your notes for William Williams married Cardiff 1837 to a possible Catherine Davis .you asked for his fathers name ,it was Evan William ,and mother maiden name Morgan, annCardiff mentions Morgan Williams ref the farmland,could it have been two surnames I.e. Morgan/ Williams regards Graham N.Z