Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

williamina robertson born 1912

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracy

Tracy Report 30 Nov 2007 21:08

I have found my grandmas mum and dad but Im unable to find their mum and dads. They lived in st boswells. My gran has brothers called freddie, william, jim and sister called ella.

My gran married a Robert ancliffe.

My ancestor is a John Younger who was born in 1783c. He was a shoemaker and a poet who resided in st boswells.

Im trying to link my tree upwards on the Robertson side

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 30 Nov 2007 21:27

Hmm. Perhaps

Wilhelmina Robertson
1913 Jan-Feb-Mar
Neray
Gateshead
Durham, Tyne and Wear

(birth 1912, reg 1913?)

and maybe:

Robert Edward Ancliff
1899 Apr-May-Jun
Newark Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire

A tad far apart, but I see no Robert Ancliffe.

Ah. Of course, the problem would be that -- referring to my handy google map tab -- St Boswells appears to be in Scotland. So us searching the GRO index isn't going to help. ;)

Tracy

Tracy Report 3 Dec 2007 22:14

Sorry folks I guess I was feeling tired the other night. Im a newbie to all this.

You did find my grandad and his name was spelt Robert Ancliff. I added an e on by accident My grans name is spelt correctly, Williamina Robertson (aka Ina) and she was born in 1912. She was brought up in St Boswells Scotland. She moved down to Lincolnshire in the 1940s with the land army and met my Grandad who was a farmer.

They settled in Westborough and had one daughter.

St Boswells is near Melrose in the borders of Scotland.

My gran had brothers called William, Freddie, Jim and a sister called Ella all born c 1910. Unfortunately I do not have the names of my Williamina Robertsons mum and dad. Thats who Im trying to locate so far drawn a blank. I know John Younder is a very distant relative but he was born in 1785 Longnewton Scotland. Im trying to get a connection between the Robertson family and the Younger family

Im not very successful with tracing Scottish genealogy websites.

Im starting off with Williaminas Robertsons mum and dad first.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 4 Dec 2007 00:52

You're out of luck like we in Canada and Australia are, when it comes to Williamina's birth record -- the event is too recent, and the record of it is not public. At least, not at the scotlandspeople website.

But with Williamina's marriage certificate, which would be in the English records, you could have her father's name, and then take a shot at finding him in the 1901 census. From the sounds of the birthdates, odds are that her parents were not yet married by the 1901 census, so you'd have nothing to go on.

Do you know your grandparents' marriage date? If nobody knows it, maybe somebody remembers a golden wedding anniversary or something?

But first -- are you absolutely certain that the Wilhelmina Robertson I found wasn't her, and the family just spelled her name differently in usage?

The birth was registered in Q1 1913 -- it could very well have occurred in 1912. (I have a slew of those births in my tree - born in December of one year, registered in January or February of the next. Very annoying.) And the location is pretty close up to Scotland there.

This is the marriage of the parents of that Wilhelmina:

Marriages Jun 1908
** NERAY Hannorah Gateshead 10a 1742
Robertson Walter Catto Gateshead 10a 1742
** Robertson William Catto Gateshead 10a 1742

Confused? Someone has corrected "Walter" to "William". Unfortunately, no record of who.

That couple had no children after mid-1911 -- when mother's surname first started to be recorded -- except Wilhelmina. Could they be your Robertsons, moved to Scotland after her birth?

One does suspect that this was a child of theirs:

Births Jun 1909
Robertson Honora Gateshead 10a 1118

There was an Eleanor born 1910, other than that none in Gateshead who look like yours.

You really need your grandparents' marriage certificate. If you can provide even a decent estimate -- like within a year or two -- of when it occurred, someone might be able to find the reference info for you, so you can order the certificate and get Williamina's father's name.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 4 Dec 2007 01:00

Just a clarification please too -- when you said:

"I have found my grandmas mum and dad but Im unable to find their mum and dads."

-- you meant you had found your *mother's* mum and dad?

It's your grandmothers' parents you're looking for, if I have it right.

So the Robert Edward Ancliff I found is what you were looking for -- and you have the registration details from FreeBMD now, for ordering the birth cert?

Ah, and I see your grandmother's birthdate here, in her death record:

Williamina Ancliff
30 Sep 1912
Apr 1998
Grantham Leicestershire, Lincolnshire

Hmm. A little early for that registration record, I guess.