Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Humphrey Williams

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynda

Lynda Report 11 Dec 2007 21:24

My great great grandfather, Richard Thomas Williams, was born on 30th May 1858 in Ellesmere Shropshire. From his birth certificate I have the names of his parents Humphrey and Sarah Williams (maiden name Thomas). Their address on the birth certificate is recorded as Watergate Street, Ellesmere.

The marriage certificate for Humphrey and Sarah records the date of marriage as 25th December 1857. Humphrey was a widower and Sarah a spinster. Their ages are not given. Humphrey’s father was also named Humphrey Williams and his recorded occupation was a smith. Sarah’s father was named Richard Thomas and his occupation a farrier. The witnesses at the marriage were Thomas and Emma Baker.

In the 1861 census Richard Thomas Williams (aged 3 years) was living with his uncle and aunt, Thomas and Emma Baker (maiden name Price), in the parish of Elson and Greenhill.
In the 1871 census (aged 12) he was recorded living as a servant at Dudleston Hall.
In the 1881 (aged 23) he was living at Dudleston Heath with his uncle and aunt Peter and Martha Barlow (maiden name Thomas).

Both Sarah Williams and Martha Barlow have a father named Richard Thomas so it is possible they are sisters, although I have been unable to prove this. I have been unable to find any trace of Humphrey and Sarah in either the 1851, 1861 or any subsequent census. Also I have not been able to find any connection between either Humphrey or Sarah Williams and Thomas and Emma Baker or Peter and Martha Barlow.

I would also be interested to find out what happened to Humphrey's first wife and if there were any children of this marriage.

If anyone has any information on this family I would be most grateful for any assistance.
Thanks

Heather

Heather Report 11 Dec 2007 22:16

Hmm, lot of Welsh surnames there. Going to be a hard task without some info re ages on Humphrey - there are dozens of them arent there. Have you looked for a death of Humphrey and Sarah prior to 1861?