Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Shearer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 21 May 2003 00:27

My mother's cousin, Ralph Simmonds - whose mother was Eliza Willison (1883 - 1956) has scrupulouly researched our (Scottish)Willison ancestors since 1987, and I am in the process of adding this tree to my site. As at April 2003 over a third of the listed Willisons in the site are from my tree and trace their roots back to the 17th century Covenanter John Willison who died after 1688 in Lanarkshire. The South Lanarkshire connection of this branch of Willisons lasted until at least the First World War - my mother was born at the farm of Parish Holm, near Douglas in 1915 - but another group of our Willisons moved to the Killin area, Perthshire (in the 19th century?) I hope that this is of interest/might be helpful. Serious Researchers who are interested in Willisons from South Lanarkshire might wish to access Ralph Simmond's publication "Willison Family Tree" - available in The National Library of Scotland, and in the Scottish section of the Edinburgh City Library. This includes details of various Willisons from Lanarkshire who have not been successfully linked to this tree.

John

John Report 14 Nov 2007 17:15

John,
Is there any link of the willisons that you know about to Scarborough in Yorkshire where my grandfather Harold James Harris Willison was born in 1883 (23 May). His parents were James Willison and Mary Ann Harris but I am strugling to identify any family links in Yorkshire and I haven't established any connection to Scotland.

Best Regards, John