Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Worstein

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pamela

Pamela Report 8 Aug 2007 12:48

Hi there everyone I am having difficulty finding any trace of my great grandfather who emmigrated from Scotland in approx 1859 to Australia. As the story goes John Johnson emmigrated from Sweden where I believe he was born to Edinburgh as far as I know. He appears to have been a Seafaring Man which appeared on his marriage certificate in Australia. In Sweden the family was Worstein but after emmigrating and becoming naturalised in Scotland I think he changed his name to the English version of Johnson. He had a brother in Sweden Gustavus Worstein. I do not know who his parents were. When he came to Australia he married Anne Goodlet who emmigrated here from Edinburgh and they married in June 1859 in Sydney. I am desperate to find out the family line back in Sweden but have come to a dead holt. His marriage certificate in Australia showed him as John Johnston but I think this was a spelling mistake at the time as it is the only time the 't' ever came into our name. John married Anne Goodlet and they had Alfred Quentin Johnson who married Rebecca Eve Pepper who had a son Stanley Wallace Johnson who had me Pamela Jane Lambkin Johnson. Long enough for you??? Any help in tracing the Swedish side or where I should look would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward in anticipation of hearing from someone who can help me. Pamela Johnson.