Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 4 Jan 2011 13:00

Not necessary the correct board but I would like to canvass your opinions.

A question has been asked on the GR Facebook page as to whether or not lookups are to be allowed on that page.  The question was asked after lookup requests were appearing.

Do you think lookups should be allowed on their face book page?

At the time of writing GR have not responded to the direct question posted 2 hours ago.  A similar question was also asked yesterday and again no response.

jax

jax Report 4 Jan 2011 13:05

I dont think they should, otherwise the wall is going to be full of lookups and all sorts of personal info that people do not realise is wrong to display

jax

Penny

Penny Report 4 Jan 2011 13:09

Why not? Okay so there is one reason why not as posted above - but posted her or there makes precious little difference in my opinion

Flick

Flick Report 4 Jan 2011 13:11

Typical GR..........unable to deal quickly with a simple question.

I don't use facebook.......don't even know what it's about, but if it means that personal info about third parties will be posted for the world to see......then the answer is a resounding NO.

It's bad enough on here when members include info about living people...............and on here we can at least try to guide people on the correct way to proceed.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 4 Jan 2011 13:14

I agree Jax

There would be no point in me renewing my standard membership as I only do so to post on the boards. I subscribe elsewhere for records and very rarely initiate contact.

mac

mac Report 4 Jan 2011 13:20

I agree too, shouldn't be used for look-ups not enough control of the content.

GR must realise that they would loose out on a lot of standard membership fees if they agree to it going ahead.

jax

jax Report 4 Jan 2011 13:21

Thats right Toots

I am sure GR do not want people to post there when they are losing out on subs, whether it is standard membership or gold and platinum?

jax

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 4 Jan 2011 13:34

Flick

You can view the page without subscribing to facebook but you cannot post unless you join facebook at

http://www.facebook.com/genesreunited

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 4 Jan 2011 16:41

Nudge

Flick

Flick Report 4 Jan 2011 16:45

I have absolutely no interest in facebook.........thanks all the same.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 4 Jan 2011 17:11

I only joined facebook when I discovered this was only way to contact GR and get a response. Also they post information on their facebook page which should be posted here but is not.

But that is taking me away from the purpose of this thread which is to canvass opinion on whether or not GR should allow lookups on their facebook page?

Gee

Gee Report 4 Jan 2011 17:15

I think they will be shooting themselves in the foot and lose out on GR membership and credits!

Plus as Ja...x points out the 'Wall' will be full of lookups ;)

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 4 Jan 2011 21:17

nudge for anyone coming online now

Joy

Joy Report 4 Jan 2011 21:27

Strictly speaking, bright solid - so I have read - does not approve of look ups on genes reunited.

Apart from that, whether look ups are posted in here, or elsewhere, they can be seen for ever anyway :-)
- whatever is posted on the internet can be viewed publicly.

I think that genes reunited should show more courtesy toward its members by posting notices on its own site as well as on other sites (such as facebook) which may not be used by its own members.

Katie

Katie Report 4 Jan 2011 21:41

Personally I think not. I don't think there are any controls re what is put on Facebook as there are here - so nothing to stop requests about living individuals. I don't use the site myself.
Katie

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 4 Jan 2011 21:48

Flick ... if you have no interest in Facebook -- TootyFruity only posted the link so you could see what the thread is about -- then ... ?

The whole Facebook thing is a debacle in itself. We should not have to go there to converse with the management of this site or to get information about this site, for starters.

I just have a gut negative reaction to the search queries being posted there. Yes, why pay fees here if Facebook is free?? And how long before there starts being duplication between this site and the Facebook site? There's enough of that here alone, already. And yes, there have been posts there with personal info about third parties. The GR management doesn't do anything about them, so what fun, one more place for us privacy freaks to patrol and report improprieties.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 4 Jan 2011 23:26

a nudge for anyone coming online now

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 5 Jan 2011 14:47

Just to confirm for anyone who is interested that GR have confirmed that lookups are not to be done on their facebook page

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 5 Jan 2011 16:24

If "lookups" are not allowed....then what it the point of the FB page?.....Isn't any request for info a "lookup" of sorts.

eg:... My grt grt grandfather did this and that..and married this person and lived in such & such place...Anyone have any info on him or who have him in thier tree. Please get in touch.

Isn't that lookup of sorts?............And aren't we all here look things up and help others and make contact with folks?.....If we dont ask....we dont get....then there's no point in this site!...

By the way..i have just been kicked off the GR facebook page basically airing my opinion on my own family and making a very sensible comment on a GR staff post..........LAME!

Joy

Joy Report 5 Jan 2011 16:30

Then they should have the courtesy to post on here, too, that Bright solid - so I have read - does not approve of look ups on genes reunited.