Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do I give up on this man

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Moira

Moira Report 30 Jan 2008 09:18

I am trying to find which ship and what year John Thomas b 1857, Wilfed b1881, and Percy Sorsby b1883 went to the USA on. we know they went to visit John's parents who went out there in August 1886. John took the 2 elder of his children for a visit to see their grandparents, He then left the boys to look for work, he was never seen again. The boys came back to England in 1905 to fetch Fredrick their younger brother b 1884 and I have details of this from letters that the boys wrote home to their mother and younger sister, who never went to the USA. I have searched the passport records for 1885/1890 and cannot find any record.Does anyone know if they could have left the country without a passport.
Moira

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 30 Jan 2008 10:37

Yes dont think passports were mandatory until 1914

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 30 Jan 2008 11:47

There are some previous threads on records which I have nudged regarding this family.

Christine

Moira

Moira Report 30 Jan 2008 14:49

thankyou everyone, it is such a mystery as to when they first came to USA we know it has to be between 1886/1890.
Thankyou so much for all your hard work.
Moira

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 30 Jan 2008 17:54

Hi Moira,

I don't know if you have checked your previous threads but there are census details posted on both of them concerning John.

Christine

mgnv

mgnv Report 30 Jan 2008 20:11

A modern UK pasport is good for 5y, so you need to start searching earlier. He could have gone via Canada without a passport, I think. Until post 9-11, a Canadian could enter the USA (technically as a visitor) with just proof of Canadian residency, and (assuming he's British) he'ld have exactly the same citizenship as 90% of Canadian residents until post WW2. Have you checked the US censuses of 1890, 1900?