Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

aunts bromley 1918.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

:) still smiling :)

:) still smiling :) Report 30 Jan 2008 14:58

hi all i have a letter from my great grandfather to his wife in which he talks about his sisters living in bromley.

the leeter was written in 1918/1919 is there anyway i can find his two sisters address in bromley for that time. they can't have lived there for long as one married in 1920 and i know they were living in salfords by 1922.

their names were beatrice and violet Gannaway brn 1888 and 1890. i don't know if they will be on elctoral rolls at all or where to find them.

any ideas greatly appreciated.
Leanne.x

:) still smiling :) Report 30 Jan 2008 15:20

sorry mike. yes i have them in 1891. the family is proving a bit difficult actually.

the mother emily died in 1897 and all children split up in 1901 census. i have finally tracked them down. beatrice as beattie ganaway in a girls home. violwt with aunt in surbiton. harry a boarder and the two youngest (brn 1892 and 1895 , sydney and frank) in southampton with a Mary gannaway as sons. their father is never on any census (worked on the cunnard ships) and the only marriage i have found for a mary and charles gannaway after 1897 is wrong.

sydney also lived in bromley in 1915 when he joined up for ww1. white cross street. have been unable to find frank's pensions record though. eldest son harry died in richmond in 1917 as a result of wounds.

so yes was hoping to get the girls in bromley in 1918. all that is said in the letter is that he visits his sisters who both live in bromley.

sorry i should have said i had the census' in original post. thanks.

Sam

Sam Report 30 Jan 2008 15:34

Hi Leanne

Electoral registers will be of no use to you - you need an address (they are not searchable by name) and the ladies wouldn't have been eligible to vote anyway so wouldn't be listed.

Sam x

:) still smiling :) Report 30 Jan 2008 15:39

ok thanks sam. i thought there still may have been a slight possibility.i know women didn't get the vote till 1918 but didn't know if you had to have an address. thanks anyway.

i have a great site someone gave me about kingston in which you can search names and year of birth for a person for any records but unfortunately couldn't find anything similar for bromley.

thanks anyway, will keep searching.
leanne.x