Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Master Bakers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 31 Jan 2008 12:30

Has anyone had any success finding records for Master Bakers from around the 1890s?

One of my ancestors is listed as a Master Baker so I am guessing there must have been some sort of documentation associated with this.

I have tried contacting the National Association of Master Bakers regarding whether they hold historical records but they don't reply to my emails.

Any tips would be appreciated

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 31 Jan 2008 12:39

I think you might have more luck searching for apprenticeship records.

There were three stages:-

Apprenticeship - learning a trade.

Journeyman - someone who had completed an apprenticeship and worked at his trade.

Master - someone who employed others in the trade he was qualified in.

I guess your man ran his own bakery and employed others.

Kath. x

K

K Report 31 Jan 2008 12:40

I would also love to know more and find any records. My grandfather was a Master Baker in Liverpool about the same time