Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

British Army Soldiers Discharge Papers 1760-1913

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

treacle

treacle Report 31 Jan 2008 15:29

Hi everyone. Could someone give me some advice as to how to get access on the Nationalarchives site to these papers? I seem to be going round in circles!!! and cannot find them. I did e mail NA and they told me I can get access to these lists but they didn't tell me how!!! Thanks Anne

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 31 Jan 2008 15:38

Only those discharged up to 1854 are name searchable on the National Archives online catalogue. For other dates, you would have to go to Kew or get someone to go for you. If you have a look at their research guide for these records, it will explain.

David

David Report 31 Jan 2008 15:43

Hi,

I found my g-grandfathers Pension records at Kew. It is possible to do a search of the Archives on the National Archives site but this will only give you the name of the person and an index to the actual records. Also if it is a common name it would be good to know the Regiment and Service Number. They are Pension Records not really Discharge Papers but should give you such things as where and when they joined, their next of kin and the address they gave after discharge. It will also give you the broad places that they served and whether in this country or abroad but not a detailed service history.

If you can find the Index for your Ancestor and are sure that it is them they will give you a quote to copy them and send them to you in .pdf format on a CD. This depends on the number of pages but the ones for my ancestor cost about £35. Of course you could go to Kew and copy them yourself at about 20p a sheet.

treacle

treacle Report 31 Jan 2008 15:49

thankyou,
looks like a visit to Kew for me!
Anne