Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Street Searches

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 1 Feb 2008 21:42

I wonder if anyone can explain to me how you search the census records by street rather than by people. I have seen lists of all residents together but I don't seem able to do it.

I am also an Ancestry member.

Apologies in advance for being thick!

Thanks by the way to Kathryn who posted the difference between threads for me last month.

X Jane

PomPom

PomPom Report 2 Feb 2008 19:55

Go to 1881 census and enter address

David ‡ Mills

David ‡ Mills Report 2 Feb 2008 22:00

There are no street indexes (except for 1881) on Ancesty. Not all images have the street names on. So it depends which census and whereabouts the street you want is.

What you can do:
Scroll down the census search page, you'll see a list of counties. Click on the county of interest.
Now you see a list of civil parishes in that county, click on the appropriate parish.
Now you see a list of Enumerator's Districts. Read the descriptions to find the District containing the street you want, then click on the District name.

You can now browse through the pages looking for the street you want. The pages (mostly) run in a walking order round the District, so a streetmap is useful to see whereabouts you are.

Often a long street is in more than one District, and sometimes each side of a street will be in different districts. With a bit of practice you can get quite good at it.

--
Dave.